ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Aiiigh! Am I losing my mind?!?!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Aiiigh! Am I losing my mind?!?! Reply with quote

Searching for post-VF symptom information.

Had pneu. Got better. Got it back. Worse. Got better. First great weekend this spring, like a typical uninformed dumb*ss (never considered reduced immune system or that VF even existed) went outside and helped painted patio walls. Three weeks later, new doc tells me I have the dreaded VF.

Months later, VF score now down to 1.2. Tiny calcified node in lower lung. Weirdly, still have intense 'banding'-type pressure in center of chest and now bizarre joint pain in shoulder, and don't 'look good' according to husband, mom and pals. No fever, no other symptoms. Confused

Go back to wunderkind doc who tells me, lungs are clear and node is calcified. But--hey you're a 44 yr old mom with 3 kids and a husband who's probably tired of you being sick for so long so... (drumroll please) it's probably PSYCHOSOMATIC. Shocked

Aiiiigh! And of course, I had no response to that except for stunned silence until I got in the car, where on the drive home I thought of about 30 snappy comebacks.

Anyway, walked around with niggling cloud of self doubt for a couple weeks-- hopping on the treadmill and ignoring the burn to kind of 'prove to myself no way.'

Today, I help a co-worker take out the trash--cardboard boxes about 40 yards away and he says--"are you okay? you're out of breath and look kind of gray."

I didn't even notice, my self-awareness is a little skewed. But now I'm like--psychosomatic--my red baboon butt! Evil or Very Mad

SO, if anyone can me put me out of my misery before I bankrupt my family getting second opinions--does this sound like lingering VF symptoms or not? And if so, what the heck do you do??!??

Thanks very much for reading.
kb
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey kb...I hate to say I but I enjoyed your recitation of your misery. You sound like you have a wicked sense of humor and that helps everything..except post-VF symptoms. Sorry...that is what you've got...not middle age...that's so ridiculous and so typical of the BS we all experience just trying to feel human. I have a bureau full of snappy retorts that I thought of but never used after I was left flummoxed by some idiot doctor who carefully explained to me that I was nuts. I think there comes a point when the only opinion that matters is yours... You can tell how you feel without anyone telling you and the best thing to do with post-VF symptoms is adjust your lifestyle until you get back on your feet. Which takes much longer than seems reasonable.

My best suggestion is that you follow Sharon's diet suggestions about avoiding sugars and eating an alkaline diet generally. It doesn't involve buying any specific or expensive products but is more about a simple change of diet. VF takes a big toll on the body and since it never leaves, it's good to change your body chemistry so that it doesn't want to start back up. It takes a while to get yourself back, so although you should do some exercise, you shouldn't push it really hard. Your lungs have been compromised and you must give them time to heal.

I've found that unless you go to a doctor with something specific..like a bone sticking out of your leg..you won't get anything but frustrated because unless they've had VF, they don't understand how it's not just a limited disease but a life-altering one and you just get patted on the head and sent on your way. As time passes, you will continue to improve...if you don't get re-infected..be careful. You're not crazy and you shouldn't expect to be all well so soon.Take care of yourself and as I said, look up Sharon's advice. It seems to be the best advice about returning to a feeling of wellness and has helped many people.

All the best,
Susan
kb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Thanks, Susan! Reply with quote

Am definitely going to look at that. Thanks very much.

Have already gone gluten-free, so I figure I'm halfway to the 'air and sunshine' diet. Very Happy

I think what bugs me the most is having joint pain/chest tightness with no fever or bone sticking out to prove it--not to a dr--just to myself!

Anyway, wish there was a 'cooler' contraction story connected to VF, like a bite from a horny toad or extra-poisonous midget scorpion sting--breathing it in doesn't give you much to brag about.

Best of luck to you,
kb
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make it "cooler", I say it's the "Andromeda Strain'...straight from space, incurable and unstoppable...of course I'm getting so old that few people know what that is anymore!
Susan
Budster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb, I would be cautious of going gluten free if you have not been diagnosed with an intolerance for gluten. There are many reports of problems for those who choose that diet. If you google 'dangers of eating gluten free' you will get a wealth of information:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=webhp&source=hp&q=dangers+of+eating+gluten+free&oq=dangers+of+eating+glu&gs_l=hp.1.2.0l3j0i8i30l2j0i22.6170.14779.0.18113.21.14.0.7.7.0.214.2047.1j12j1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.Sz5ON_uiAkY

see my VF webpage here:http://www.budster.com/vf-01.htm
Gretta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you feeling? Were you on meds before? Are your symptoms the same as when you were diagnosed, and did they ever get any better at any point?
Chris Gaynor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: The disease nobody understands, even doctors Reply with quote

kb, I was diagnosed with VF 3.5 years ago by my GP, make sure your doctor sends your blood sample to the lab in CA to make sure it is valley fever; the next thing is to go to an infectious disease doctor to handle your case; I am trying to save you some steps; I have a very long story about my bout with valley fever; it went from my lungs to my spine and I now have cocci meningitus; needless to say, I am still fighting and now it is all about pain management; please feel free to get back to me with any questions; good luck, Chris Gaynor.
rain81

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was diagnosed with VF earlier this year and have made a recovery back to "normal" life the past few months but I can't seem to get rid of the upper body/neck/lower arm pain. It's the only post-VF symptom I have. I have changed my diet and that has helped, along with exercise, new bed, and chiropractor. No other diseases and I am in my 20s, fine before VF. Best of luck kb!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: