ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Hair loss w/ Fluconozole?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CactusQueen60

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Hair loss w/ Fluconozole? Reply with quote

Hello:

Has anyone experienced hair loss taking fluconozole? I have stopped taking it, but am still experiencing hair loss - more than normal.

I went to get my hair cut today and the stylist said I was losing more hair than what was normal.

She told me about a product called "Nioxin" that helps w/ hair loss. Has anyone tried it?

Still dealing w/ this nightmare disease and asking Santa to take it away!
Thank you.
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: hair loss Reply with quote

Nancy'
I think everyone has experienced hair loss with fluconazole. My fingernails became very soft and started flaking off also. I guess it's part of the drill but I wonder if it doesn't indicate that the dose is too high and the liver is not processing it properly. I really don't know, it may just be the cost of keeping VF in check but maybe you could ask the doctor if one of the alternative drugs wouldn't have fewer side effects and do just as well for you.
Susan
CactusQueen60

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thanks much for your advice. I stopped taking fluconozole over a month and a half ago; I didn't see that it was actually doing anything for me. Dr. Galgiani said he wasn't sure it would do anything for me either, but I wanted to try.

The drug should be through my system by now, but maybe there are residual effects of the stuff. Sad

Yes, my nails have also been peeling and flaking...dang disease!

Thanks for your email.

Happy Holidays.

~Nancy
HeidiEPage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Hair Loss on Fluconozole Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,

I noticed hair loss initially but I don't anymore. I changed my diet radically when I got this... started doing a lot of raw green smoothies. I think hair loss may be related to a nutritional deficiency perhaps caused by the medication... I'm a bit of a health nut but I believe that if we give our bodies what they need, they can heal. You might see if you could get a vitamin / mineral panel to check your levels and supplement if you are low...
just a thought...
Best of luck!!
Heidi
Jim in SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on fluconazole for 5 months and didn't notice any hair loss until about three weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be falling out root and all, it seems to be breaking off. I am hoping to get off the drug soon. Maybe the hair will recover as others have reported.

Jim
Budster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have been on Diflucan/fluconazole (6/2000) my hair is very brittle and breaks off very easily. I get a bunch in my brush every morning (I have long hair)

see my VF webpage here:http://www.budster.com/vf-01.htm
CactusQueen60

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies; I really appreciate!
redvenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Hair loss Reply with quote

I had extreme hair loss on the fluconazole. I had hair to the middle of my back and it just started coming out in handfuls. It is verifiable that the fluconazole causes it. My doctor said to get through it if I could, because he felt the treatment was worth the side effect. It was very depressing, but I have to say that my hair did grow back in time and it came back sort of curly and wavy with texture. I always had fine hair before, but this new hair is better. You just have to decide if it's worth risking being off the fluconazole. Hair is just hair and it WILL come back.
BLP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: hair loss due to radiation Reply with quote

Hi. Does anyone wonder about hair loss from all the radiation of the tests we get??? I have been off my meds from vf since last October. My hair is still falling out. It is so thin, i hate to go anywhere!!! I can't see myself in a wig, bit its looking pretty good that i may have to get one, if my hair gets any thinner. Look @ all the x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, BONE scans ect.... we have to get!!! Does anyone else think it may be from radiation? I would like to hear from people about this one!!! It's a wonder I don't light up all the time from all the radiation I have had since 1999!!! Lol
Mkmomma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nioxin saved my hair. I didn't think it would do much but it really slowed down my hair lose. I'm off the meds but I'm continuing to use it since it's working
Bbeatie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Hairloss Reply with quote

Yes; It took several months but my hair turned brittle and then started falling out in patches so being a guy I simply took out the clippers and whacked the rest off! No foolish wisps of hair for me! It seems as though the dreaded diflucan side effects have caught up with me.
kat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it...I know a lot of women who think bald is beautiful! And it's in style.
jane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Hair loss Reply with quote

Heidi
What kind of green smoothies do you make for yourself to help with nutrition????? My hairdresser said Biotin is good for hair, so I started taking that while I'm on the medication.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: