ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
New DX :(

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilypoo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: New DX :( Reply with quote

Hi everyone Smile

I'm Chelee and I'm a 39yo mom to four. I live in Queen Creek. I've been in the Valley since 2005 and before that I lived in San Joaquin Valley in CA most of my adult life.

I found out last Thursday that my cocci test is positive and that we are waiting on titers, which will be in no earlier than the 1st.

Urgent care referred me to a pulmo. after 10 days of abx and prednisone didn't clear up what we thought was a case of asthmatic bronchitis. My PCP really was confident that VP would be negative and that this simply has been an asthma flare.

The pulmo. started me on 400mg of fluconazole, continued the steroids and switched my Flovent (I have had asthma since I was a young child) to Advair.

I had a totally clear chest xray about a week ago, so the pulmo. is hopeful my case is mild. I plan to ask for further testing just to be safe. Not sure what yet...maybe at CT scan?

Interesting to note, in 2008 I had "something" show up on a chest xray but it cleared up and was passed off as having been pneumonia. I do tend to get bronchitis and/or pneumonia yearly. I've been tested for cocci a bunch of times due to asthma/bronchitis. It has always been negative until now.

I am also diabetic (and have PCOS) and my PCP was giving my blood sugar another 3-6 months to come down with increased metformin and diet/exercise...but now I can't exercise at all because I'm too short of breath.

I've been hesitant over the past couple years to take additional diabetes medication or use insulin because of the potential for weight gain (lost 55 pounds on the primal diet in 2011...gained 15 back when I went on an antidepressant). I meant to lose additional weight but have had trouble sticking to the primal plan this past year.

So I think it's time to agree to another oral diabetes med...I feel like it's crucial to me being able to fight this. I'll get into my PCP this week and see what we can add. My readings have been REALLY high the past few months.

I feel like contracting VF is my fault for not doing everything I could to keep my glucose as low as possible. Sad

Anyway...I'm sure it's typical but I'm scared to death and feel like crap. I am trying to learn as much as I can without over-feeding my anxiety. My PCP increased my antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds because I was so worried about the results of the cocci test. Now that I know where I'm headed, I'm a bit of a basket case!

Thanks for listening Very Happy
LindaA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I'm sure sorry you have all this to deal with. I can only say get good doctors and ask alot of questions. Hopefully your titer score will be low and you won't have to be on that dose of fluconazole very long.

I'm no expert and may be way off base, but my Valley Fever seemed to kick into high gear last May right after a series of steroid injection/pills for my heel. After a few weeks, I had a large lung mass. I believe that the very same steroid series also caused me (at the same time!) to have a female cycle at age 66, and to be sure I didn't have ovarian cancer I had to have a D&C. I've since read that steroids can weaken your immune system, but, again, I'm not sure. Mayo Clinic mentions them under risk factors for VF but don't say much beyond that. I just know that I'm wary about them now and won't take them anymore. In your case, you may HAVE to have them for your particular illnesses and so you can breathe! I don't have many of the complications you do. If anyone else knows something about the use of steroids with VF, I'd sure be interested in what you have to say...

Good luck, and keep your spirits up. I've discovered the importance of remaining positive.
LindaA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and rest assured, you are not at fault for contracting VF. None of us are. It's geography.
lilypoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Linda Smile
jane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Steroid shots and VF Reply with quote

I have had some steroid shots in the last year and then my VF came back as a abscess nodule on my right hand where I have had swelling since getting VF in 1979! Saw a surgeon, biopsy, the usual tests, tested positive for VF from the biopsy. Put on Fluconazole and it has drained and healed on its own. Curious about the correlation between steroids and VF. I also have a severe low immune system. Dr. checking more into that to see how I can boost my immune system. Praise God for this website. After all these years I am still learning from everyone. Cheers
kat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane, steroids lower your immunities as does antibiotics, alcohol and sugar.
I'm sure you will get some responses on how to help your immune system. Sharon and Dave can help with that.
jane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: extremely low immune system part of VF? Reply with quote

Kat,
Thanks so much for your help. While waiting to get labs drawn this morning, read a sheet I've read before from the website of arizonavictimsofvalleyfever.org and it says "Steroids suppress the immune system." Why I didn't recall it before???? Who knows. Soooo much info on VF and each case is totally unique. Of course so much info, and yet so few ID Doctors that know about it. As far as things I eat, don't drink, I don't eat candy, cakes, cookies, but I like ice cream a few times a week. I'm gluten free. So I will have to watch ALL sugars. Thanks for your response. 2 more months of 400mg and then we will see. Cheers and God Bless....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: