ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
new to VF

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kdmzoey3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: new to VF Reply with quote

I was recently diagnosed with VF and I live in downtown San Diego. Has anyone heard of any other "city" types who have gotten this? I am seeing a pulmunologist and my family Dr-do I need an Infectious Disease Dr too?
I have been on the diflucan for 2 weeks and my lungs show improvement. I , too, was thought to have cancer and I had all the painful joints and erethyra nodosum. I had bothe the ct chest and a needle biopsy, but 2 blood tests showed the VF. I am also winding down taking prednisone. Any comments and or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Chris Gaynor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Infectious Disease Dr. Reply with quote

Don't know of one in San Diego, but I have a great one here in Phoenix and I highly recommend going to one; if they are any good, they have their finger on the pulse of valley fever.
Kdmzoey3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: new to VF Reply with quote

Thank you Chris for your reply. My question really is, Do I need an ID Dr. I do have an appointment with one for this week, but since I am so improved, do I really need to go? Will the ID Dr be able to pinpoint how I got this?
Again I live in downtown SD, by the Harbor. My complex has lush gardens, so maybe from here? Was in Balboa Park in mid April-maybe there?
Also was in MI at the beginning of May and I helped my Dad hoe some dirt-it was a warm day...could that have been it? My first symptoms I think occurred in mid May, but I was thinking it was allergies.
Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks
idoncov

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that you see an ID doctor. You should see one that has specifically treated many patients with Valley Fever and has treated ones with disseminated VF.

The disease is poorly understood by the medical community. You want someone who will give you the right drug at the right dosage for the right amount of time. You need someone with experience to properly evaluate your symptoms to come up with all of these recommendations.

I speak from experience in this. My ID doctor told me that I would be completely cured with 1 year of medication. From the literature I knew that wasn't true. Then at 1 year I still had a titer value of 1:8 and he wanted to take me off the meds and have the body take over. I am looking for a new doctor now.

The thing about this disease is that if the treatment is not right it can develop into something much worse. It's better to play it safe IMO.

As far as knowing how you got it. I used to think about that quite a lot in the beginning but now it seems of little importance to me personally. It's more valuable to the medical community.
Kdmzoey3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: new to VF Reply with quote

Thx idoncov I am keeping the appt with the ID Doc. My pulmonolgist wants his input. Another question for anyone out there...any issues with throat and voice/vocal chords? Thx Again...
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think you should share the following journal article if you are having problems with your voice. Hopefully it is totally unrelated. However it was very serious when it was a problem so you may want to share with your doctor the following article:

Allen JE, Belafsky PC. Laryngeal coccidioidomycosis with vocal fold paralysis. Ear Nose Throat J. 2011 May;90(5):E1-5.
PMID: 21563074 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This may be helpful to know if VF is causing this problem.

Best of health,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
Holly.AZRN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you got the care you needed and are doing much better, Kdmzoey3.

FYI, you are not likely to have contracted the disease from lush green places--the fungus resides primarily in the Sonoran Desert regions of the Southwest, CA, AZ, NV, NM, TX, and Mexico. However, people have been known to have acquired it in unlikely places because the spores have traveled well beyond their place of origin, such as on items purchased in the desert areas and brought back home in the East or elsewhere.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: