ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Few questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuzRid

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Few questions Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a question re: the length of time to show symptoms of Valley Fever. My husband and I were in Phoenix in October and definitely experienced some dust swirling around us at the Grand Canyon and while driving through AZ. I have MS so I have slight breathing issues already, but for the last three-plus weeks I have had severe shortness of breath, fatigue, fever, chest pain, body aches, and a cough -- symptoms that sound consistent with VF. Oh, I also have a rash on my chest that started a few months ago, I think. (I keep forgetting about it.) Two rounds of antibiotics and two of prednisone have not helped, and my chest x-ray did not show any infiltrates. Is it possible that the spores were inhaled in October and are just now causing these symptoms? I am seeing an infectious disease doctor and will request she order the blood test; I didn't know about VF when I saw the doc last week, a friend told me about it as her mom had it.
I live in Dallas, TX and I also heard because of winds, the spores are being carried further, in our direction. Any truth to that? Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Suzanne
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzanne..Welcome...

The symptoms you list are consistent with VF. If it is VF, it is possible that the antibiotics and steroids have caused it to activate. Those are the two things we [those of us with VF] try to avoid if possible because they both make the VF worse. They seem to be the first thing prescribed when we get sick and it turns out they cause our bodies to be much more susceptible to infection by this fungus. The antibiotics kill all the good bacteria as well as the bad, the prednisone depresses the immune system, and both of these actions allow the cocci to flourish..so I would suggest you get the VF test as soon as possible so as to avoid further [possibly unnecessary] treatment with those two meds.

The wind can carry the spores up to 500 miles. Whether you came in contact with cocci in AZ [the most likely] or in Dallas..possible..or somewhere in between would be interesting to know but the important thing is to make sure you don't have it and if you do, that you get the proper treatment with anti-fungals as soon as possible.

There is a book written by the people who run this site..Sharon and Dave Filip, which is a truly comprehensive study of VF, it's treatment, the types of tests which find it, the symptoms, and long range expectations among other things. You will find it a great help if you choose to buy it..or you can order it from your library. It's called "Valley Fever Epidemic"

If you go to the VFSurvivor website on Facebook, you can find information about the right diet choices in the "notes" section. AVOID sugar, eat nutrient dense food, and avoid processed foods. The correct diet is an immense help with controlling your infection, as is rest....Knowledge is power with VF and often we have to coach our doctors to get proper treatment. Consequently the more you know, the more you can help with your recovery.

I hope your tests are negative but it is certainly worth pursuing VF as a possibility. I hope you don't become a member of this small..but growing..club.

All the best,
Susan
SuzRid

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you, Susan. You (and Sharon and Dave) are a wealth of information. I heard from my ID doc today and she is checking to see if the VF test can be added to my blood draw from last Thursday. If not, she will order it. I stopped the abx and steroids about two weeks ago so they are hopefully out of my system by now. I really appreciate the info and will follow your recommendations about diet. I felt that sugar had something to do with it as my lymph glands began to hurt worse after I ate sweets. Time to cut that out indeed!

Thanks again!!
Suzanne
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzanne,

Thank you for the kind words! Dietary changes aren't always fun but when you can notice the immediate differences like you have, you know they are worth it. Making your body the best it can be will help against any disease, whatever the diagnosis.

I hope you can get the answers you need from the upcoming blood work. Please let us know how your search for a diagnosis and health improvements are progressing.

Best of health,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
SuzRid

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Canker sores Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave, for the encouragement.

Have you encountered or know of anyone who had canker sores as a result of VF? I developed these a while back and have had four bouts of them ... and it occurred to me to ask.

Thanks,
Suzanne
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzanne,

Although there have been lesions in the mouth from VF that fit the general medical description I have never specifically seen them named as canker sores.

However, given the fact that this is a lesion that could be biopsied or cultured, that may be a way to find a causative organism...perhaps the spores that cause Valley Fever. This is definitely something worth doing ASAP to get to the heart of the problem as soon as possible.

Best of health,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: