ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
ANYONE KNOW A KNOWLEDGEALBE DOCTOR FOR VF IN PGH, PA?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Sunshine

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: ANYONE KNOW A KNOWLEDGEALBE DOCTOR FOR VF IN PGH, PA? Reply with quote

I contracted VF in 2009 while living in Tucson, AZ. Had lung surgery in May, 2010: collapsed lung - nodules removed, right wedge resecetion and pleurodesis done.
Now, I am living in Pgh, PA and it seems that NO ONE IN THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY here knows how to treat VF! Most doctors, hospitals and Urgent Cares have NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT. Does anyone know of any knowlegeable, competent doctors who know about VF and how to treat it? I seriously need medical care for this. Thanks.
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KC,

This probably is not the exact answer you were looking for since it is not a specific PA doctor's name, but if you are willing to find any doctor that is willing to do a consultation, doctor to doctor consultations are handled by both the Valley Fever Center of Excellence and Kern Medical Center. Just find an infectious disease doctor or pulmonologist who is willing to consult. Definitely call ahead - if they say they don't want to do a consultation and know nothing about VF then you need to move on and call another doctor who will.

Dr. Johnson from KMC has stated that there are different treatment styles between Arizona and California, mainly that the AZ style is less likely to use antifungals unless absolutely proven to be necessary. Since I hear from so many patients whose doctors avoided antifungals for far too long, both before and after their VF diagnoses, perhaps Kern would be considered the more aggressive choice for consultations.

A part of the reason I wrote Valley Fever Epidemic was to provide information to empower patients, but a benefit has been that when doctors were willing to read it, they learned a lot and became better advocates for their patients. That would also be a way to help while ensuring they avoid the whitewashed and outdated information that appears so often on the internet and general review sites for the disease.

However you need a local doctor to do the consultation. Perhaps others here will post with other recommendations in your state.

Best of health,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: