ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Which Doctor (Mayo Clinic)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k_poh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Which Doctor (Mayo Clinic) Reply with quote

Hi all, I want to see/consult a doctor at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale Arizona.

I just want to ask what type of doctor do I need to see?

Shall I book to see a Pulmonologist, or just a General doctor/physician ?

Does anyone in the forum know which doctor is best in dealing with VF?

Thank you very much.
kat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually an Infectious Disease doctor and a Pulmonologist are the doctors who deal with VF the most.
Staciediane8

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at Mayo Scottsdale & the ID doc seems to believe I had 2 false positive VF tests despite me having most of the symptoms. The internal Medicine doctor (also at Mayo) who managed my outpatient care suggested I see a local pulmonary doctor.

He also said Mayo now has a VF clinic. I live in TX & if I don't have any luck with a local pulmonary doc I will return to Mayo VF clinic or another AZ VF expert. Also, my Dad spoke to his allergist about my case & she also said I needed to see a pulmonary doc.

Hope this helps! I am new to VF but this is what I have learned so far. Wishing you lots of luck.

Regards, Stacie
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stacie...

They are doing VF research at UT San Antonio. Perhaps this could be a resource for you without the necessity of going to AZ..although I'm sure you enjoy seeing your dad!

All the best,
Susan
Staciediane8

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan,

Thanks for the info! Several of my doctors are at UT San Antonio so I am familiar with them. As much as I would love to see my Dad again, SA is much closer Smile I have a so. Graduating next month & a 12 year old so closer is better.

Would you happen to know any info on the VF program? The reason I ask is because I was just admitted at UTSA in Dec. they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me & the ID doc said I probably had drug fever. (I don't have drug fever & no other doc has mentioned this or been able to prove it).

I am curious if they have a new department or which medical speciality is heading the VF stuff? It's all about finding the right doctors is t it? I had even asked my ID doc in SA if I could have fungus in my body (I had read the symptoms & kept getting thrush) she said "no". Maybe I just need to find a doctor who is more familiar with VF? Or maybe it was too soon for them to have know much about it.

Thanks again,
Stacie
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stacie...

I had never heard of "drug fever"..that sounds like a catch-all brush off for the inexplicable. Are you taking some new drug that you are reacting to? "OH, that's nothing. Just drug fever".

I believe the VF project is in the Dept. of Biology at UTSA. As with most VF info, it's like trying to grab mercury trying to get specifics. I don't even know if it is still going on because of funding issues but you might try calling them and asking for a list of doctors who were/are involved. Perhaps that would give you a starting point to find someone who didn't brush you off with a diagnosis of "drug fever'.

Now if you are taking antibiotics, it's "normal" to get thrush and yeast infectons because antibiotics kill all the good bacteria as well as the bad and your ph balance is disturbed. While I have VF rather than Thrush...which is candidiasis, a fungal infection of the mouth...I have gotten it when my diet got sloppy. I have used clortrimazole tablets when it appeared, started the pro-biotics and cut out sugar. That stopped it. Fluconazole [Diflucan] is indicated for that as well, just as it is for VF. It's certainly not to be left untreated because it is another nasty fungal disease and can proliferate. This also indicates that you diet is sugar-heavy.

Personally, I think you should try and find a new doctor. I would ask the desk at the doctor's office when you call if they have had dealings with VF patients so you don't get discouraged and waste your time with too many idiots. It's difficult to find a competent VF doctor even in AZ. Perhaps the people at Mayo would have a recommendation...

I don't think it's ever too early to seek treatment.. the problem is finding someone who doesn't disregard what you know about yourself and be will ing to help.

All the best,
Susan
k_poh

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I have cancelled my Mayo appointment because I had an earlier appointment with a local Pulmonary Doc. But what bothers me is that this Doc said, he doesn't base the VF treatment on blood test, but by "feel"... which I interpret as when he feels I am feeling better, he stops the medication.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: