ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Should I send my records to be reviewed

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etteloc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Should I send my records to be reviewed Reply with quote

I will try to make this short. I was diagnosed in 2007. I live in Wisconsin. I travel to Arizona. Since my diagnosis I have had strange things happen with "rashes." Over the years I have had some rashes on my arms & legs (mainly Spring & Summer) and my left arm gets red & itchy (any time of year). In 2012, I woke up one day and the left side of my face felt like I had a stroke. Went to a walk in clinic - told it was allergies. In 2013, I had a rash on arms & legs & left side of my face swelled up. I let it go thinking it would be fine & within 2 days the left side of my face was so puffed, itchy & dry I went to a walk in clinic (in AZ at that time) & was shot up with steroids & an allergy shot. Had an outbreak again when I returned to AZ so went to clinic & shot up again. Went to see an allergist early fall & told it was possibly poison ivy or poison oak since I do work in my yard a lot & told if it occurs without being in yard to let them know. Last week I worked in my yard. By Sunday the left side of my face started swelling in the usual spot. A slight rash on both inside forearms. I was able to get into the allergist right away so he could see & he again thinks allergies, but ran other thyroid & immune tests. All clear. He still thinks poison ivy or oak. He put me on more steroids. But if it's poison ivy / oak, then why no rash like my arms & why does it only affect the one side of my face?

So my question - would it be worth sending my records to a doctor in AZ (I do have a name of one that specializes in VF) to have him look at them & try to confirm if in fact this is allergies or my VF? I also have been in horrible pain lately - mainly knees & hips. Doctors here don't seem to want to deal with me. All want to chalk it up to "allergies" - yet I'm not allergic to anything - other than possibly poison ivy / oak, which allergy tests do not show up.

Sorry - not so short. Long and short - would it be worth a VF doctor's opinion?
idoncov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A poison oak rash for me always started on the 3rd day after contacting the plant. So I just worked backwards and could always determine when and where it hapened. If you got a rash without being near these plants within 3 days then it wasn't them. Those rashes completely clear up after running their course.

I had a mysterious rash in Phoenix years ago which had nothing to do with plants. They never knew what it was but the inflamed itching was controlled with a dosage of prednisone. The itching and redness went away but the skin remained off color in the area. When looked closely you could see that the rash had merely become much fainter and less troublesome but was still there.

I believe that there was one more flare up after that in the 8 years since the rash appeared. Then eventually I came down with valley fever and started taking fluconazole. To my amazement that skin discoloration completely cleared up. So I'm convinced it was a fungal infection of some sort that nobody recognized or bothered with for years.

Your rashes don't sound as they are related to plants. Plant infections usually spread. If you scratch them they spread to another part of the body. Is that happening? They also don't appear in the same area time after time. Could it be shingles? Shingles usually appears on your back as I remember. A rash will usually generate liquid that starts to ooze. My doctor had some of the liquid sent to a lab and it was identified as shingles. There's a vaccine for that.

I hope some of this helps. Wish you the best of luck.
etteloc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working in my yard so there is a chance it is poison oak / ivy. However, that has been my thing - if that's the case - then why does it not spread to the rest of my body I might have touched? The worse place seems to be it going to the left side of my face & it's not a rash. Then from my forearms to about mid lower forearm it gets really red, slight rash & swollen. My left arm for years also would get red & itchy & I have some sort of residual scarring / discoloring from that. That's why it is so frustrating dealing with doctors because they just want to say everythign is a rash. Maybe it is, but my gut says no.

My biggest thing is as I age and knowing what I have is so "unknown" to doctors around me, I want to establish with a doctor that is more of an expert in the area for a local doctor to refer to.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: