ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Can Pneumocephalus occur after Lung Surgery to Remove nodule

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Sunshine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Can Pneumocephalus occur after Lung Surgery to Remove nodule Reply with quote

I apologize if this has been answered already, but I am new to this site.
Here's my strange situation. I feel like my SKULL is EXPANDING. Plain and simple. I can FEEL that it has grown! Is it possible to develop Pneumocephalus as a complication of having lung surgery for my Valley Fever. I contracted VF in 2010 in Tucson; had surgery for pneumothorax; including pleurodesis, and thoracotomy with right wedge resection.
This is 5 years later, and I am having bad headaches, extreme stiff neck (which I have to crack my neck all day long to relieve pressure), lightheadedness, visual problems, chronic sore, extremely painful spots on my head. My husband has to give me a head massage every night to relieve the pain, stiffness and soreness. The red flag was: I thought my hair was thinning (I am in early 50's), because I can see more of my skull. But I think I can see my skull because it enlarged!
Please advise if anyone has any info on this.
Thank you
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KC_Sunshine, the easy comment about thinning hair could be due to the antifungal drugs, if you had been taking them. The rest is more complicated.

Pneumocephalus (air buildup inside the skull) is not known as a part of VF. Meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain or spinal CNS) and hydrocephalus (an increase in fluid pressure on the brain), however, are both possible complications. Both could cause the head symptoms you describe, although the neck symptoms seem connected most commonly with meningitis in VF. The skull would not have enlarged in this case, but the description my mother had was "it feels like my brain is pulsating, trying to break out of my skull" and others with VF meningitis agreed with this or stated variations on this theme.

I would suggest this possibility with your doctor quickly, as this is a serious complication of VF. Your symptoms may be meningitis from VF or perhaps even another organism. Are you still on antifungal medication? If so, what is the dose?

All my best
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
KC_Sunshine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks for replying, Dave Reply with quote

I was never put on antifungals for VF. What's odd is that it feels like, (how can I say it) I have "mild" or "chronic" low-grade meningitis - if that is even possible. To be completely honest with you Dave, I do not have healthcare insurance, and don't even have a PCP here in Pgh. The last time I went to a PCP here, I asked if he knew anything about VF, and he said, "no". That is when I went home and cried, because I never had good follow-up care for my VF. I feel very lonely, isolated and abandoned -by the medical community here, and from friends and family who don't have a clue what VF is and what I went through, so that depresses me.
Two years ago, here in Pgh - I was having horrible chest pains - like an alien was going to burst through my chest. My husband took me to the ER. Cat scan, chest xray...they couldn't find anything wrong, plus told me that there is so much scar tissue in that area (right lung) that they really couldn't see much of anything. They sent me home with no meds - they did absolutely NOTHING to releive my pain or symptoms. These 4 hours in the ER cost me $7,000.00 out of pocket. We went home, and I accepted the possibility that I would die that night, but I didn't.
So I guess VF will be they way I go - we all have to go some way. I am angry that I contracted VF in the first place, and sorry we ever moved to Tucson. VF has pretty much RUINED MY HEALTH.
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm not quite sure what to say so I will be discussing it with Sharon and we should call you. Please send your current phone number to the voiceforaction@valleyfeversurvivor.com email address - do not post your phone number to the board, please use that email to send your phone number and the best times you can be reached. I hope we can help you.

All my best,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
KC_Sunshine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: DONE! Reply with quote

I have emailed you, Dave. Thanks for your concern.
kat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K Sunshine, I just read your post and it sounds so similar to what my brother went through. He was finally diagnosed with cocci meningitis. Please let us know how you are doing and what you have found out.
KC_Sunshine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: You have motivated me! Reply with quote

Hi Kat,

Thanks for posting your message. You have motivated me to try and get tested for meningitis. I am having terrible migraines now, and the right side of my neck is KILLING me. I don't know if it is possible to have meningitis and still get up and do my chores and things, but my body has ALWAYS been different and doesn't follow "normal" parameters!

On a recent appointment with a primary care physician here, I asked if she would test me for meningitis and she replied, "If you had meningitis you wouldn't even be able to walk into my office!" But I feel like the walking dead, ready to keel over any moment.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: