ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
VF and Hormones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chacoan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: alpha-MSH, ACTH, cortisol "dysregulation" in bioto Reply with quote

Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker wrote a book called "Mold Warriors" a few years ago in which he described a set of processes that are effected by exposure to fungi in water damaged buildings. He calls this the "Biotoxin Pathway".

It might be worth reading up on because I would not be surprised if a very great number of VF patients also had similar issues.

(I CLEARLY get sick from mold exposure and I am ALSO almost sure that I have VF or something like it..because by the doctors definitions that I have seen, mold explains the fatigue and the triggering of many of my symptoms but doesn't explain the lesions and some of the other symptoms that I get..)

Since mold is known to effect your immune system, I think what happened is that while living in my moldy apt, I went far away to get away, went to the wrong place, picked up VF, and then went back to my moldy apartment and it (the VF) went crazy on me because the apartment was making me sicker than I would otherwise be and so, instead of just short term VF, I think I ended up with disseminated VF.

I have no idea at this point, but that is my current hypothesis.

I also have low androgens right now..

Read this:
http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/index.cfm?objectid=7D79A69E-F1F6-975E-70EA80AB43A6C710
chacoan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Sex hormones stimulate dissemination of coccidioidomycosis! Reply with quote

Please read!

This is why pregnancy and coccidioidomycosis don't mix! This is an old paper, so ask your doctor. Its possible that the new drugs they have make the combination less dangerous. But I would ask your doctor. Your *good* doctor, nit just any doctor.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7251153

Infect Immun. 1981 May;32(2):897-907.

Human sex hormones stimulate the growth and maturation of Coccidioides immitis.

Drutz DJ, Huppert M, Sun SH, McGuire WL.

Because men and pregnant women show increased susceptibility to extrapulmonary dissemination of coccidioidomycosis, studies were conducted to determine the direct effect of human sex hormones and related compounds on the growth and maturation of Coccidioides immitis in vitro. 17 beta-Estradiol, progesterone, and testosterone were highly stimulatory for the parasitic phase of C. immitis growth whereas cholesterol, ergosterol, and 17 alpha-estradiol (a physiologically inactive stereoisomer of 17 beta-estradiol) lacked such effects. Rates of spherule maturation and endospore release were accelerated, in a dose-dependent fashion, by concentrations of 17 beta-estradiol occurring in normal women, with the most striking effects seen at levels encountered in advanced pregnancy. A stimulatory effect of 17 beta-estradiol on the saprobic phase of fungal growth was also detected. The nonsteroidal "antiestrogens" tamoxifen and nafoxidine had either stimulatory or inhibitory effects, depending on fungal strain and experimental conditions. Diverse strains of Cryptococcus neoformans, Candida sp, and Petriellidium boydii were unaffected by hormones that had distinct effects on C. immitis. These studies suggest that direct stimulation of C. immitis by human sex hormones may help to account for sex- and pregnancy-related predisposition to dissemination of coccidioidomycosis.

PMID: 7251153 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PMCID: PMC351527
Angie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, once hormone levels are back to normal via meds, has anyone noticed any change in their energy levels.
etteloc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that I came across this. I have noticed since I was diagnosed in Feb 2008 and noticing more lately that my premenstrual symptoms are more severe. I am so tired I can't even describe it. It is extreme fatique & weakness. It seems to be wrose 1-2 weeks before my period. Maybe it's my age (37) too. But it would be interesting to get my hormones tested. Might do that some day.
Ria

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etteloc,
I have had my hormones tested 3 times now since getting vf at the age of 35 (I am now 45). Hormones have been completely normal yet my fatigue definately comes and goes along with night sweats. My ob/gyn said I am not going through "the change" because I have had fatigue and night sweats since my original diagnosis. My titers have been 1:2 since I was intitially treated 10 years ago. Personally, I do think that my night sweats and fatigue are vf related....not hormones! Take Care! Ria
Louie'sDad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about hormone levels, I have noticed that I have lost some muscle mass, my legs have gotten thinner and my arms feel soft. My VF is okay right now, I see my doctor this Monday. I think it is the 600mg of Fluconozole I am taking.

I also see that my skin is drying out, I am now putting lotion from the ankles up. I looked at the bottom of my feet and they are getting flaky. I think it is the meds. Also, I am itching all over and it is maddening.

Any advice will be welcomed.
dank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Cocci-meningitis and Testosterone Reply with quote

I read this old thread today with interest. I have been dealing with cocci-meningitis for over three and 1/2 years.

Is there any new information on if VF or an antifungal causes low testosterone.

Any new info on if a testosterone gel such as androgel helps with fatigue and decreased energy?

Thanks,
dank
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen articles saying fluconazole could either increase or decrease testosterone slightly depending on the study. I had not seen any of those specifically studies with VF. Unfortunately the addition of hormonal supplements like testosterone had often been associated with more severe VF cases unless specifically accounted for with antifungal prophylaxis. As to whether the testosterone gel would affect fatigue, that would be impossible to judge until meningitis is completely under control.

As a more useful way of reducing fatigue and inflammation (part of which would help the meningitis symptoms, since you don't need to deal with any further inflammation beyond that!) would be to have an anti-inflammatory diet program. Have you seen the dietary suggestions on the Notes page in our Facebook timeline page? It is at http://www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor and may help you. Diet can make a giant difference in control of inflammation.

Best of health,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: