ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
ICD- implanted cardiodefibiulator/ pacemaker?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandyford1954

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: ICD- implanted cardiodefibiulator/ pacemaker? Reply with quote

Has anyone had experience with one of these with VF? My Dr thinks cocci may attach to the wires and grow a fungus ball in my heart. Thanks for any info.
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have not found info on anyone with specific implants in the heart, the growth of a fungal ball could actually happen. A VF attack at the heart could show up as inflammation of the heart's lining or parts of the heart itself, even without a fungal ball or lesion.

However other implanted devices that have NOTHING to do with the heart (mostly to put medication directly from the skull to the cerebrospinal fluid) have grown biofilms. Biofilms are fungal structures that are resistant to the immune system and even to drugs, and have often resulted in the removal of the injection ports that had been implanted. These would also be a concern if your doctor feels the VF might grow around the wires.

Good questions for your doctor are "What would you do to diagnose a biofilm around the cardiodefibiulator/pacemaker?" and "How would you treat that type of infection?" If a fungal mass is a lesion then it could be treated with fluconazole or other VF drugs. But if it is a biofilm, surgical removal is much more complicated than in the other biofilm cases that I had seen. Relating to the fungus ball theory, ask "how would that be diagnosed and treated in the heart?" as well. A biopsy might be more difficult in the heart than the lung so that would be good to know.

The above questions are what your doctor needs to share with you to understand how your case will move forward. I'm sorry you are going through this. Please keep us posted.
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: