ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Reporter seeking COs or inmates

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dferry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reporter seeking COs or inmates Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a reporter for a science magazine in San Francisco (http://www.readmatter.com) and I'm working on a story about VF. I've talked to a number of survivors in the civilian world about the disease, but I haven't had much luck finding current or former COs and inmates to hear their stories.

If anyone on the board has a prison-related story about VF, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks so much for considering this,

David Ferry
df@davidpferry.com
spike991

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

im a c/o at avenal state prison what is it your looking for i have valley fever and know of about 30 plus c/os with it
dferry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Hi there! Reply with quote

Spike sorry for the delayed response, I never saw your reply.

I'd just like to know what kind of treatment folks are getting. Are people having an easy time getting disability? I'm particularly interested because in 2008/09 CDCR cancelled a planned CDC National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) epidemiological investigation an inspection that the prison system requested in the first place to look into how valley fever was affecting c/os at Avenal and PVSP.

Thanks for your help!
David
df@davidpferry.com
kkmanns

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: CO with Cocci Meningitis for 16 years 3 months passed away Reply with quote

Good afternoon,

I haven't posted in this forum for many years. My ex-husband contracted cocci meningitis in 2001. His battle with the disease lasted 16 years longer than was ever expected. Sadly yesterday he passed away after his most recent brain surgery to remove infected shunts caused heavy bleeding and blood clots in his brain. The clots pushed his brain to one side causing damage to his brain stem. We were told that even if he were able to breath on his own he would never be himself again. Most likely he would be a vegetable. His brain was so fragile after the multiple brain surgeries throught the years inserting multiple shunts. The fungus was no longer responding to the medication and during his six weeks in the hospital they had to give him the antifungal meds directly to the brain stem. We never thought he would live this long with the disease so it was a blessing to have every year that we did. He worked at the CYA in Chino when he contracted the disease and the remainder of his time was at the Chino Mens Prison. To all those infected God Bless you and cherris every day you have with your loved ones.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: