ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
VF and PolyMyalgia Rheumatica

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: VF and PolyMyalgia Rheumatica Reply with quote

And the weak auto-immune system continues to plague me! In October my doctor suspected I may have Poly Myalgia Rheumatica (PMR) and that has now been confirmed by a rheumatologist. Problem is the only proven way to help (not cure) PMR is through prednisone and this disease generally runs a course of 2 years or more. I contracted VF in 2002 and have one major relapse when taking prednisone in 2004 or so. Please -- is there anyone on this board who has experience with the PMR and Valley Fever together? The pain is severe and for me settled in my shoulders, hips, and legs. I'm having all of the typical symptoms like not being able to pull the sheets up in bed, get dressed, etc. :?:
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I am sorry you are dealing with this. Although others may comment here, patients have not come to me explicitly mentioning the PMR as connected to VF and I could not find a journal article that lists VF as a specific cause - VF could be, based on the symptoms it causes, but I am only saying that it has not been so formally noted in any of the medical journals I have reviewed.

That said, there are times when coccidioidomycosis has been studied in people who do have polymyalgia rheumatica. It may be caused by the VF or coincident with it, but at least there is absolute proof beyond your personal health situation that the two conditions are known to exist together at some points in time.

Specific treatment guidelines were not in the articles I had found. In general though, sometimes when corticosteroids are prescribed there is a decision to monitor the VF and provide antifungal drugs at the same time as the corticosteroid prescription - perhaps this is something your medical team may want to do as well to tackle both problems.

When Facebook appeared much of our traffic went there. To see all the communication happening on our FB sites click on http://support.valleyfeversurvivor.com to have it take you directly to our Facebook support group. The official Facebook link is: www.facebook.com/groups/1063806976985799

Please join us there and of course please keep us posted on your case.

All my best,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: