ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
swollen lymph nodes..how long before they return to normal

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakelover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: swollen lymph nodes..how long before they return to normal Reply with quote

I have a dog that tested positive about 1 month ago with a titer fo 1:32. He aslo tested positive with a 1:8 4 years ago but we were already treating him for problem ears with ketoconazle. I honeslty don't know why we didn't treat him longer. BUt I feel that put him into remission. that said...my question is regarding his lymph nodes. They are enlarged and that is what triggered the"coughing" that sent us to the ER for kennel cough. We found out very fast thet it was VF instead. We started fluconazole right away. I also supplement him with some Azmira products like Garlic, multi-vitamin and and immune stimulator and yeast and funagl detox. Over tha past 1 1/2 weeks he coughed very short coughs but was very brief after not coughing since the ER visit. In the morning I notice his throat seems to be tight but it gets better as the day goes by. The Dr. explained to me that the lymph nodes are swollen and pressing on the trachea but when does this go away? How long on the medication before this will slowly start to improve? Genrally speaking he seems normal. Eating great, wanting to do all the things he has always loved but this disease is frustraing to me becasue there isn't a lot of information out there nor is it a cut and dry process. So I am hoping that someone out there can answer this from their own experiences.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jakelover, welcome to our board. I am surprised your vet didn't give you a better idea of what he thought would be the progress. Lymph nodes are the resting place of lymph fluid, which is created by the body in abundance in response to pathogens, invaders, like bacteria and fungus. Basically the lymph system IS your immune system.

In people sometimes the lymph nodes never release enough fluid to go down and the nodes and lymph material harden. This happens most often in the armpits. Sometimes the only answer is surgery. It's a lot trickier in the throat though.

My only similar experience was with my beagle Motley who also has vf. This was unrelated, but he had a salivary gland swell and harden and we did have it removed. This could be problematic if he doesn't produce enough saliva, but so far it's been ok.

I would be interested to know what your vet says about the lymph gland. Maybe you will be lucky and it will go down. Exercise is the only thing that will get the lymph fluid moving. True for people also. Is he getting exercise daily? Is he feeling well enough?

Azmira makes a good line of products and I expect you are feeding a premium natural food also. This is so important. I would add vitamin C to your regimen, in progressively higher doses until it causes loose stools. Then cut back. This might help the lymph. Might. Either way, he should be taking vit C with the fluc anyway. It helps absorption.

I hope you will find time to keep us updated. We are all learning together. What happens to dogs also happens to people, and vice versa. The treatment protocol is the same for both. I wish you all the best.
Sheila
Jakelover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila,

Thanks for your thoughts. I believe Jake has the diseminated form and this may be where it has settled for him. The vet couldn't really give me a definite answer since it could take weeks to month to see any results. They leaned toward months. I have him on Azmira's Yeast and fungal detox, the immun booster, vit c 1000 mg twice a day, garlic approx 1000 mg twice a day, milk thistle twice a day, multi vitamin for pets, along with the medications. We strive to walk twice a day but here in AZ it is pretty hot so sometimes we go once a day. But yes, he gets regular exercise and eats great. I have him on Wellness, I mix yogurt and cottage cheese & sometimes and apple in it to keep him excited about eating :0). I will be keeping a close watch on the lymph nodes though. I really am thankful for your response.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing everything right. What is meant to be will be. I just hope the trials are not long and hard for you both. Yes, I agree, months would be more like it.

You never did say what kind of dog he is. I would like to know what he weighs and what dosage of fluc you have him on if you don't mind. Especially for the archives, when people first find us here. The information is important to everyone as we are learning about vf.

If you just want to express yourself you will always have a willing ear on this board. Good news I hope, or a shoulder to rest on. Please let us hear about your baby's progress.
Sheila
Jakelover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kindness. I have written on several boards with no response at all. It is a hard illness to get answers too! Anyhow, Jake is a lab mix, just under 100 pounds. He is on 300mg of fluconazole twice a day of course with all of the other things i give him that I listed above. He is really acting very normal and that has worried me that we would have setbacks.
I am glad we have a month under our belts. I can leave the house with a little more ease. You worry about side effects and such. Do you happen to know with herbal remedies if at some point I should take him off of them for a short time? I can't find much info on that. He has been on most everything the entire month so I am wondering if I should start taking weekends off the supplements or every third week or something of the sort. Is there any science to this? Of course his prescribed medication I would continue to give him.
Again, thanks for the warm thoughts and responses. I feel so much more comfortable already knowing that I can get answers.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boards are funny. This is the only board I have ever seen where the members are truly respectful and compassionate towards each other. Even in disagreement. I have not found that anywhere else, even as I am a member of other boards. Hah! That's how I know.

As for acting normal, golly gee! Enjoy it! Dogs are not like people. They don't fake it for your benefit. If he acts normal, he feels normal. Be thankful and enjoy.

Yes, there is a science to herbals and you have a good handle on the basics. Most long term herbal therapy requires "rest periods" for effectiveness. But I wouldn't think about resting the herbals for 3 months. Then see. Depends on how he's doing how long you will break. I never break the Milk Thistle as long as there are drugs involved though. 

When Jennie was really sick I didn't break anything ever, just changed formulas. But then I had treated her completely herbally for the first year. Yes, we were successful. We were advised to remove her left lung completely as it was "dead" according to the vet. With herbal therapy, not for a layman!, her lungs are both now perfect. Perfect!

But she just couldn't get up the spunk and her titers stayed at 1:128 for 2 months and I put her keto for her second year of treatment. It worked and is still working. Now I am afraid to take it away!

So continue as you are for at least another 2 months. There are lots of other formulas to switch to for a little while if he's not ready for breaks. The science of herbalism is still an art. We are all happy you found us here and look forward to hearing about Jake's recovery! BTW, don't forget to take care of YOU. Smile
Sheila
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: