ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
helm questions...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grannydi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: helm questions... Reply with quote

from both fruits into the bag, and throw out the pulp and the seeds. 19: Eating in the Real World Meat eaters do not typically see in full color
I dunno, I prebought it from gamestop, they gave me a small ticket kind of thing with a scratch off code and the war mammoth in the picture It said to go to register.ageofconan.com and en
Although a determination of the structure Children, ages 3 months to 9 years, re- sequence assembly during genome se
U.S. and Canadian cattle. Safety measures to of several compounds. As that is the test for essentiality, the consensus ran in favor of the nays for Rye Bread (2 slices) 140

Last edited by grannydi on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Sheila

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Diana. How's the Scoobster doing this morning? For your liquid Milk Thistle see what it says for an adult dosage and give him a little less than 1/4 dose. I use the NOW brand of Silymarin (Milk Thistle Extract 2X-d00 mg w/ Artichoke and Dandelion Extracts). I use 1 capsule (300mg) per day for Jennie who is about 19 pounds. So on that basis I would say use about 200mg per day if you can work it out.

The most important thing is not to worry about overdosing. You will not get any negative side effects by giving a higher dose. In fact, I used twice that amount when her liver enzymes elevated. So even if you work it out to1/4 amount of the liquid you will be fine.

Does this straighten it out for you? If not, let me know and we'll try to take it further. Hope you are well this morning.
Sheila
grannydi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sheila,

The Scoobster seems to be a little more active this morning and not quite as stiff and sore as he was the last week or so. This morning he has jumped up on a chair in the living room twice, which he hasn't done for several days. When I first noticed he wasn't feeling well, that's what brought it to my attention. He would jump down from the chair and then a little yelp. That's when I took him to the vet last week, and over the weekend before we got his titer back, he got much more sore even though the vet had put him on Rimadyl and Tramadol (thinking he had an injury). He stopped jumping up on the furniture over the weekend, so even though I'm not sure he should be jumping, I was pleased to see that he could. Now I have him confined to a room without chairs (lol) because even though he's proven he can jump up there, I don't want him jumping down. On (I think it was) tuesday morning, he took a jump off a fairly tall step on our patio and seemed to really stumble. Since then, he's been very painful, but today he's still a little unsteady but much improved.

This is his first day off the Rimadyl and Tramadol, and I am pleased to see that he is more active even than he was with pain meds on board.

His appetite also took a big hit about the time we started Fluconazole, and I had to start hand-feeding him chicken breast, calves liver, etc. He wouldn't even look at dog food or his treats. This morning I actually got some canned dog food down him, although I did have to feed it to him by hand. I was pleased to see that, because I know that nutritionally he isn't getting what he needs by an all-meat diet.

I think the medication makes him feel crummy also. He wakes up feeling decent, an hour later he eats and takes the meds, and it seems like he is much worse for 3-4 hours, then perks up again. Same thing with the evening dose. I wonder if this is a sign that he isn't handling the higher dose, or just coincidental?

All in all, he is far from 100%, but so far, this is the best day he's had all week.

Blah Blah Blah. No one else I know wants to talk about VF, so I am rattling on and on and on!

Now, on to the Milk Thistle. What I bought is Nature's Finest Milk Thistle Seed, Silybum marianum. The label says the adult dosage is 2 ml, so based on that I would give him 1/2 ml? Should I divide it and give it morning and night, or all at once? I'm glad I asked, because the lady at the store told me to only give him one drop 2 x per day.

I have had all 3 of my dogs on Missing Link, and I am wondering if I should continue to give him that? The lady at the health food store also recommended (and sold me) olive leaf extract, but I haven't given him that yet. Should I, and if so, how much?

The other thing is the Vit C. I have read over and over that he should be on it, but my vet has suggested not starting that until he is down to the prescribed dose of meds, as she has him on double the dose for at least the first few weeks. Does that sound right?

I am so glad to have someone to talk to, Sheila! I sit here all day looking at my poor little guy and I can find about a thousand things to worry about and no one to share them with. So thanks so much for listening and for your prompt answers.

Diana
Sheila

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good start to the day Diana. Yes, the meds mess with your appetite, but very often that will stabilize. Your vet is not up to snuff with the Vit C as it will help the absorption of the drug. Seems to me it might help with his crummy feelings after he eats (takes the meds). So if I were you I would start putting that vit C in his food now. Start with very small amounts. What form do you have? When the tummy is not good the ester C may be better. I prefer straight ascorbic acid as we need the acidity in the stomach, but ester C is better than no C.

I know exactly what you mean with the jumping. We had so many xrays done of Jennie's back legs because she wasn't jumping and I was so worried about dissemination to the long bones. Nothing ever showed, but I don't know that that proves no involvement. So elusive this fungus!

Your hfs lady is being cautious with the Milk Thistle. Sure, just under 1/2ml. You can give this to him all in one shot if that's easier or break it up. Either way is fine. I just dump the contents of the capsule in Jennie's morning meal. So far so good. Sure, do the Olive Leaf Extract. I live on that stuff and have used it extensively with the vf dogs. Good choice, good lady at the hfs! I would give him 1/2 whatever it says for an adult. Fyi, for an adult I would recommend triple whatever they suggested on the label. In alternative circles they say when all else fails use Olive Leaf. You can spend a lot of money in hfs's. Lots of other things are helpful too. But his eating is primary.

As long as he is not losing weight he will be fine for a little while on protein. Missing Link is an essential fatty acid supplement, basically flax seed. This is good, lots of immune system properties. If he will eat it, give it to him. The important thing is to stay away from dairy products. Don't give him cheese. But if he gets really picky, try a can of puppy food. I fed Jennie puppy food for a long time and I think it helped.

Well there. Blah blah blah! Smile Everyone here knows about no-one wanting to talk about vf. So you found the boat we're all in and you are welcome here. Venting is healthy. I know that everyone here is happy to listen. Even if they Know nothing about dogs the subject brings learning for everyone. You can see people are reading these posts. Sharon and Dave have provided a home here for all of us and we share in your gratefulness for a place to and talk about it.

Don't forget to take care of YOU! Have a wonderful day.
Sheila
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: