ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Swollen toe-Valley Fever related?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakelover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Swollen toe-Valley Fever related? Reply with quote

Has anyones dog experienced a swelling to a toe that ultimatley fills with pus and bursts? I feel it is related to the valley fever because it is starting to happen again as we speak, (the fourth time since Novemeber)I have it wrapped tightly this time to see if I can keep it from filling up. The Doctor doesn't feel it is related as it does heal up with antibiotics. He wasn't "diagnosed" with VF until May but some symptoms definitley point to the fact that he has had this for a long time.
He was at my parents for a week and I didn't give his full doses of vitamins to make it easeir for them, so I am upping his Vit C & garlic back to full doses. ANy other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really want to avoid putting him on another antibiotic and Rimadyl.
Thanks!
Gail
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gail. This sounds like a typical vf lesion, found especially on the legs, but can be anywhere on the body. How's he doing otherwise? Many people have used colloidal silver, or a salve with colloidal silver in it. There are some salves already like that, or you can perhaps get a calendula salve and add some silver to that. Apply that to the sore as often as you can. No, it won't hurt him. I would give him some internally also. The silver, not the salve! Smile

Is Jake still on vf meds? Does your doctor realize that the antibiotics are contra-indicated? Has he never heard of a vf lesion??? Maybe you should have him get in touch with Dr. Shubitz at the vf center of excellance and have a little chat with her. Perhaps you are up to a second opinion. Call around, see if anyone has treated vf. With Jake's history I would be concerned enough to seek furthur medical advice.

Meanwhile, try the silver. It has helped many and certainly won't hurt. Ask at your local health food store. Please let us know how it goes.
Sheila
Jakelover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for your thoughts! We did an xray of the toe to see if in fact the bone was affected by VF or possibly some other growth. The xray appears to be completely normal. I really want to still believe that this is VF related. He is on fluconazole 300mg twice a day which is a fairly good dose.

This particular episode has yet to break open and drain. I have been soaking it in epsom salt and as hot of water as he can stand to try and get it to open up enough to drain. Last time it burst and it took twice as long to heal and a long round of antibiotics.

Generally speaking he is doing GREAT! No fever and no other apparent symptoms. I ran another VF titer and should get the results in the next day or so to see if that is going down.

Will colloidal silver spray work on an abcess that hasn't "opened"? I bought some today just to have. I am nervous to give him anything more "internally" as he is already taking so many viatmins and herbal remedies along with his thryoid med. and fluc.

My Dr. seems to be pretty up to date on the VF treatment. He just hasn't seen this type of sore. It generally does respond to antibiotics which if it was VF realted typically don't. So he is puzzled.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail if indeed the sore is a vf lesion then the antibiotics tend to mimic healing, creating lots of confusion for everyone including our doctors. But so often these things return, or as you say it took a long time, lots of antibiotics.

Skin is absorbant. 70% more effective in absorbing than the digestive tract. No interference between the skin and the bloodstream. That's why the various patches, including morphine in hospitals, are becoming the norm. So yes, absorption will happen if you spray the silver and allow it to dry. This will not interfere with anything he is taking, supplements or meds. Don't worry.

VF appears in so many forms. Just because you have never seen it like that, or in that organ, doesn't mean it isn't there. It's a good doctor who has an open mind with vf. I still think a call to Dr Shubitz would be a good thing for him to do. I had my vet do that also, just to talk and run it by her and get her recommendations and input. To me vf is a learning experience for everyone including the vet. I am thankful that my vets feel this way. Since yours has never seen this kind before and he is treating it, it would seem prudent for him to run it by her. Consider running that by him.

I'm so glad Jake is doing well. That's really the only important part!
Sheila
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: