ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Titers rising after 2 months on medication?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakelover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Titers rising after 2 months on medication? Reply with quote

We received the results of the titer test. He started on the fluconazole in May so it is about 2 months now and his number is 1:64 from 1:32. I think I read that this can happen and my vet said it happens and he didn't want to raise his dose yet (he is on 7 mg per kilo which is pretty high)and recheck in 3 months.
He appears fine in every way except this problem toe.

Tell me not to freak out!
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't freak out Gail. Titers are a funny game. Different theories abound. But I hold with my previous post that it's time for your vet to put a call in to Lisa Shubitz. Maybe this med is not working for Jake. That does happen. I am using keto with my Jennie, whose titers went all the way to 1:128 before I even started the meds. So don't freak out, but make a smart move and push your vet to talk with Dr. Shubitz.

Fyi, one of the newer methods that has been discussed at recent conferences was to give a very high dose for a little while, get the symptoms/titers down, and then go down to a more tolerable dose. We did that with Jennie for 1 month and her titers went from 1:128 back to 1:32. Then I cut the dose down to what she has taken ever since. Last test was 1:4. I'm happy. But we agreed on this protocol with a talk with Dr Shubitz. Please consider it. Why don't you write to her yourself and ask if she would talk with your vet. Tell her about Jake. She has been really good about writing back, usually to tell you that she would be happy to talk with the vet. Send her an email: lfshubit@u.arizona.edu

Let us know what happens and don't worry. Act.
Sheila[/list]
grannydi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't freak out, Jakelover.

Like Shiela said, titers really ARE a funny game. For some, they can be a pretty accurate indicator, but for others they are absolutely useless. My little guy falls into that category and the only way to judge how he's doing is by how he's feeling.

In case no one explained this to you, the titers aren't actually measuring how much fungus is present anyway. What they're measuring is the amount of immune response the body is generating to the fungus. So maybe your Jake is just fighting really hard.

Also, the titer test is a very subjective test because it's a color test, and there's a margin of error there because it depends on how a particular technician reads the color. A one number jump may not be significant at all and technically may not have changed but was read by a different technician that sees the colors differently. I know jumping from 1:32 to 1:64 would seem like a big jump but it's really not. A jump from 1:4 to 1:16 would be much more significant because it's two steps up on the scale. They are diluting the serum by double each time, and each time they dilute it the number doubles too. So the scale would read 1:4, then 1:8, 1:16, 1:32, 1:64, 1:128, etc.

And by the way, this is info that was given to me by Dr. Shubitz a while back when I was freaking on some titer numbers. Smile

It's hard to be patient when you just want your dog to be well, but there's no easy or fast fix for VF. You just keep pumping down the meds, month after month, and if your dog is feeling good, then he's doing okay.

There are lots of apparently well dogs out there with high titers, and lots of pretty sick ones with very low or negative titers.

Di
Jakelover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grannydi,
I just saw your post. I really appreciate both you and Shiela's thoughts. It sure helps! I have decided to continue to trust my vet.He hasn't led me wrong yet. Jake seems to be doing great. Hasn't lost a pound (he actually could afford to :0)
He is sleeping better, he doesn't lick his paws anymore, no butt scootching. He keeps looking at me with perked up ears which is his "playful" look.I really feel the mediaction is working and I am not going to stress about the numbers just yet. He can't be going backwards with all the vitamins I have been giving him. He has to be the healthiest sick dog alive. My family teases me that he is treated like royalty. He just has to look at me and I melt. I am like your grannydi, wating for something to happen. Not ever able to totally relax. I am a worrier and I wish I can live in the moment but it is hard. I am trying though.
Anyhow, sorry about the rambling. Just wanted to let you ladies know that I appreciate you and I am sorry I didn't respond to the last post earlier. Wishing you and your furbabies well!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: