ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
My Bella has been diagnosed with VF

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loyalhound

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: My Bella has been diagnosed with VF Reply with quote

My 5 year old whippet Bella was just diagnose with VF her Titer is 1:8. as of Monday
I live in a desert area of California and my property has a lot of dust. My Bella lived in Arizona 2+years ago with a friend. I show this dog, and because of my own neuropathy condition in my feet I decided on having a Pro handler take her for a weekend of shows... "stress?" She came home skinny and didn't want to eat, not quite right. this continued and about 5 days after the dog show she started coughing...I first thought it was kennel cough..but because of her lack of appetite I thought maybe it was V.F because I remembered that afriend who lived in Az had another whip with those symptoms) and none of my other dogs caught the Kennel cough.I took her to my vet in Temecula ca and Asked about the valley fever test..the vet felt that she most likely had K.C...well she was on antibiotics and nothing changed, although her cough got less frequent..now she might cough once or twice a day. which is now gone after about a month and a half.She never had any other symptoms, no fever, nada..I had her chest X-rayed today and it was completely clear. I was prescribed the antifungal meds today and they say she needs to be on them for 6 months.
Anybody have a source to order the meds for a discount? Also I do have a friend that has homeopathic vet nearby, Would you consult her too? My regular vet didn't seem that familiar with treatments other than textbook info. I have 7 other Whippets and two pmu horses and am now worried
about us all in our present enviorment, any advice would be welcome!! TIA,
Kristy
Jakelover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to let you know that my vet had done a lot of phone calls and I have not been able to beat the price at our Fry's (Kroger) grocery store. I need to buy 40 days worth to get a discount but I pay $45.99 for 40 days worth. I don't think that is bad at all. I know that years ago when he was on ketoconazole I called several pharmacies and they varied from $100 plus for a month to as low as $30. I even found that 2 different Costco's varied by 50%. Make a lot of phone calls and ask about buying in bulk to get a bigger discount.
Hope that helps,
Gail
grannydi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kristy,

You might also want to check out some of the compounding pharmacies in the Phoenix area. Two that come to mind are Pet Health Pharmacy and Tatum Drugs and they both ship out of state. If you need phone numbers, let us know.

Will wait for Shiela to drop by and give you input on the holistic stuff, but in the meantime, it might be reassuring to know that just because one of your dogs came down with VF, it doesn't mean that your others are at any greater risk. Most dogs, even in the same environment, don't catch it. I have three dogs. They've all spent their whole lives together in the same yard and house. One is on his second bout of VF (6 years apart) and the other two have never caught it.

Diana
Sheila

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to our board Kristy. I see you have been given some good suggestions already for the meds. Is Bella's cough all gone now? Seems they are treating the titers, which isn't a bad thing necessarily. Lucky, I call it. If she handles the meds ok without elevating the liver enzymes beyond the normal zone, then a 6 month protocol seems quite satisfactory. Your decision time will come at that point depending on her titer count after the 6 months. It might go down, it might not. That's the real catch with vf.

I have 1 dog with no symptoms and a titer of 1:4. He never had any meds even though his titers went as high as 1:32 and he was lethargic/coughing a little, small amount of cloudiness in his lungs. He and my other have run true to titer, which is a real blessing. I treated this one holistically and his titers went down and stayed at 1:4, which is considered a gray area. Could be just showing past infection. My other one also is at 1:4 and she may stay on the ketoconazole for life. We shall see. It's so individualistic. Sounds like Bella should wind up in my Motley's class, no meds even at 1:4 because of no symptoms. It's tricky, touchy, scary. But so are the meds.

While Bella is taking meds she really should have some Milk Thistle added to her meals. Up to 1600mg/day is ok for her. Break it up in 2 doses with her meds. And add some vit C also, which will help with absorption of the meds. Maybe around 500 mg each meal. I'm assuming she weighs in around 50 pounds. If her stool gets runny cut it back and then increase up again. But give it twice per day with the meds/food.

Sure, a holistic vet is a wonderful idea. That person can check on things a regular vet doesn't even recognize. I would use this vet for immune stimulation, relaxation, chiropractic or acupuncture if they do that. Homeopathic formulas for valley fever are not going to do what your azole drug can do. If this person says they can, I would have to recommend you not pursue her. I don't believe in fanatics, I believe in complimentary medicine. Stay the course with the meds for 6 months. Perhaps some adjunct homopathics in the line of immune stimulation.

A quick comment is about food.I believe that poison going in to the system causes immune stress. So I only feed quality food without BHT, etc. To me this is really important especially when on meds, as toxins cause unnecessary overload on the liver, instead of bringing nourishment they bring more work.

Lastly, as Diana already said, don't worry about your others. Don't panic and get them all tested. They're liable to show a 1:4 if they've been exposed and you will be unhappy unnecessarily. Probably they are just fine. I have 10 dogs. We all play in the same desert. Only 2 got vf symptoms, the 2 most serious diggers.
Sheila
loyalhound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
What the heck? Would the Ketoconazole make "WHOLE" tape worms be expelled? Shoot I can't believe it! I have never had ANY fleas where I live...but she was with that friend of mine...and can vaguely remember after she moved from AZ to North Carolinas that she was having a flea problem...Bella passed long skinny worms that to the best of my knowledge looked to be tapes you could see the segments. BAH!!!!!! I am making a appointment with the homiopath vet ASAP! no wonder her Immune system is down! Anybody see or hear of this before? TIA,
Kristy
loyalhound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE more thing the Files for the info for me to read are all DOC attachments...I use a MAC and don't know how to open a DOC any Ideas??
Thanks,
Kristy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: