ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Jake has another problem

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakelover

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Jake has another problem Reply with quote

Hi there again,
I wish I didn't need to come back again for any other reason then to help someone else. My last post stated that Jakes VF titer was down. His toe is being treated...Dr. thinks it is allergy related. All great news!

The latest as of today..I took him in to have his thyroid levels checked and I had pointed out a small lump that I found this weekend behind his shoulder. The Dr. needled it and it is a mast cell tumor. I showed him another spot he has had a long time and that too is a mast cell tumor. I am absolutley crushed.

Jake and I have been on a long uphill climb it seems his whole life with us. He has always and still greets me with excitement even at the worst of times. He is just like one of my children.

The coices are few but I do have choices. One being to do nothing. ANother is to remove them and do nothing more. The next would be to send them in to be graded. Please don't hate me for saying this but I would never put any of my pets through chemo. I spoke with my vet and I have decided that I will remove them but I don't want to know what stage they are. I will base any future decisions on what to do based on his signals to me.

When he was diagnosed with Vf, I prayed that I would have a few more "good" months with him. I have been grateful for what I have had.
I know that God chose us to be his family for a reason and as long as his ears are perked up and tounge hanging from his mouth in a playful way, I have to keep my head up and fight with him.

It is a huge emotional rollercoaster that I keep saying I don't think I can handle the ride anymore when another ticket is handed to me. Each time the ride being a little more difficult. I mentined to my vet this and he completely understood. I told him that I was wondering if saying goodbye would be the best and he knows all that I have been through with him and he said this is nothing to put him to sleep for.

Anyhow, that is my news. I am heartbroken...I feel hopless right now. I read that aside from chemo or radiation they can treat with strong steroids and the tumors respond well to that but then I have to worry about the effects with Valley Fever. I will discuss this with my Dr too.
If anyone has any experience with Mast Cell Tumors and were sucessful I would like to hear your story...I am not sure I can handle the bad at this time.
Ladysmith52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jakelover -
My heart and prayers go out to you as you make the decisions for Jake. There is something about animals that cause us to feel so responsible for them and want to protect them from life in general. They are so dependent on us .....and so appreciative too. They are such blessings when we allow them to truly become on of our family such as Jake has become in yours.

I think you are being very caring to make the decision not to put Jake through chemo treatments. My mom went through that after her cancer surgery and it literally almost killed her. It was gut-wrenching to watch her linger on the brink of death from the treatments. The cancer returned again afterwards and she made the decision not to go through the chemo again. She felt she had lived a good and loving life and she readied herself to leave here. That was in 1999.

Prayers, blessings & health for Jake and peace for you in trusting you make good and loving decisions for him in his life with you. Please keep us posted.
Diane
Jakelover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Diana for your kind words! It helps a lot.

Gail
Sheila

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail I'm so sorry to hear about Jake's tumors. And I have to agree with not putting that dear boy through chemo. I had a beautiful white shepherd once who had a cancerous tumor on her kidney. I knew she had cancer by the odor of her urine and started treating her with herbs, most specifically Essiac tea, and lots of others. It wasn't until 4 years later that I brought her to the vet and they were astounded that she had done so well for so long.

Have you considered some alternative therapies? Are you open to that? There is much you can do for Jake in this realm. Perhaps in your area there is a really good health food store, maybe a consultant. Dogs are not much different than people, especially in this regard. I hope you will consider pursuing this path, so many have been helped. If the tumors are taken out, then the herbs would assist the body in not creating any more.

You've been through so much with this boy. We are always here for you.
Sheila
Jakelover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheila,

Thank you for your reply. I am over the shock and have a sense of calmness in me. I am not sure why though. He and I have been through many ups and downs. The valley Fever was a pretty scary thing for me as there isn't much info out there and everything you read is so non specific...meaning there are so many symptoms that it is so difficult to know if they are related to the Valley fever or something else.

The cancer scares me. I have read to get him on a grain free diet which I am preparing to do. I am familiar with the Azmira products so I have started him on a few herbals tough I am unsure about using these too close to surgery. He goes the 19th.

If you have some specific things or a direction that you can share with me regarding alternative avenues I would like to research them. I am very open to trying anything other than "chemo" style.

Thanks again and Thank God for this website. You are all so great and supportive and have some great advice and words of comfort.

Gail
Sheila

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Gail. I want to recommend that you join one of the Yahoo groups I belong to here:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CompanionAnimalCare-Naturally/

In their Files and Links section there is a wealth of information on canine cancer, with diet recommendations and alternative methods discussed. This forum is not the place to go into the cancer treatments (although they are similar to what I would do with Valley Fever as it is the same immune system compromise) but you are welcome to email me privately if you like at sloandogs@earthlink.net and I will share with you what I know and would be happy to copy the articles and send them to you.

Another group with tons of info and knowledgeable moderators is here:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ThePossibleCanine

This group does a lot of raw feeding and although I do not use this diet myself it has a lot of merit and the information here is also worth pursuing. Cat Lane is a wonderful, educated person and the group will respond to questions quickly I'm sure. I will agree with them that the carbs in the kibble just feeds the cancer.

I will look for your posts on these groups. Again, if you would like to write to me privately I would be happy to share this experience with you and Jake.

You can make lots of dietary changes immediately. The herbals and any vitamins you choose, like Essiac Tea, should be stopped 5 days before surgery.

In my heart and my prayers,
Sheila
Jakelover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I wanted to give you an update on Jake since his surgery. He had it this past Tuesday, the 19th. Other than some soreness Tuesday night and Wednesday he is up and running and doing perfectly. Looking at him, you would never know that he is fighting VF and Cancer along with hypothyroidism and the infection in his toe has not occured in close to 3 months. I am still treating that with a topical antibiotic for several more weeks but it is working!

He is back on his herbals and vitamins so I am expecting him to keep on trucking along!

Thanks to all for your support! Your kind words have kept me going when I became weak and Jake's positive outlook on things have also kept me going.

Wishing you all a very Happy Holiday Season!

Gail
Ladysmith52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gail -
Thanks for Jake's update and I am so happy to hear he is doing well after the surgery this week!

Happy Holidays to you also!
Blessings,
Diane
kemoro1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Hope Jake is ok Reply with quote

Hello - Our lab was diagnosed with Valley Fever over Thanksgiving and is responding very well to Program (Lufenuron) plus Fluconazole. She has draining lesions in her leg, all of her lymph nodes were very swollen and have decreased drastically in size since we started her on the Program. If you haven't heard of this yet, try it. She didn't want to eat anything, including chix/rice or beef/rice with Fluconazole alone. She was depressed, sick, vomiting, etc... The medicine is expensive, but well worth it. She weighs 60 pounds but gets the dose for a 45 pound dog. Good luck and hope Jake is better.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: