ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
We go tomorrow for another titer test

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jakelover



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: We go tomorrow for another titer test Reply with quote

Wednesday we take Jake in for another test. Last time it went up a bit probably due to his surgery. I need all your prayers that it has again come back down. He still appears symptom free and healthy as before so I am praying for the best! I will let you all know early next week what his results are. Please pray for him until them.


Gail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sheila



Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 240
Location: Reno, NV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gail. I recently had my Jennie's titers done again also. It had been 6 months and prior to that she had been steadily going down (starting at 1:128) every 3 months. She is on Ketoconazole. But this time her titers remained at 1:8 and one of her liver enzymes is just slightly elevated. I have to say I was really disappointed as she presents quite healthy. I have considered switching her meds and realize she will be on them for life, but I will give it another 3 months, do all tests again, and then see about switching depending on her liver tests. But she feels fine!

So what I'm saying is that my prayers are with you and Jake, for Jake's health and well-being. I hope his titers go down again, but titers are not everything. My Jennie couldn't be any better and that's what I pray for Jake. Please let us know about the test results, but don't put all your eggs in the titer basket. Quality of life is everything!
Sheila
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ladysmith52



Joined: 18 Oct 2005
Posts: 573
Location: Bakersfield, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best to Jake on his upcoming test! Please keep us posted.
Diane S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jakelover



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shiela and Diane,

Shiela,
I am sorry to hear that the liver was off a bit. I thought about testing that again but he had it done in December and nothing was stated as being worrisome. As with your Jennie, Jake is acting perfectly fine with great energy and enthusiasm so I will base everything off that. Though I would love to take him off the meds someday, I am okay if he needs to stay on them as he appears to not be having any issues with them. I may go 6 months for the next test if it is still low. I will keep you all posted.
Gail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jakelover



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: It is down from last time Reply with quote

Jake's titer came back 1:4. The Dr says if it stays down (we will retest in 3 months) then he will take him off the meds. That worries me because of what I have read and heard through this site. I wonder if I should push keeping him on the meds since he is tolerating it fine( maybe at half the dose). If I do take him off them will I have hints that it is coming back or will there be a sudden wham? I hope someone can educate me what to do next when that time comes which I am excited to say I have. Of course it brings new worries.

Gail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sheila



Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 240
Location: Reno, NV

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gail. It's pretty standard protocol to treat for six months to a year, depending on symptoms, and then stop the meds. The longer someone, human or animal, is on meds, the harder it is to stop them. The body adjusts to having them do the work and when they are withdrawn the vf surges, potentially, not always.

For my Jennie, she's been on them since 9/05 and she came to vf with a compromised set of lungs to begin with. From pneumonia with fluid on her lungs as a pup, poor little puppy mill dog. But Motley, the other beagle with vf, had no compromise, never had meds, and his titers have stayed at 1:4.

So for Jake you need to weigh how long he has been on the meds against the potential for long-term treatment, constant liver enzyme watching. Anti-fungals are horrible. I expect they will cut Jennie's life expectancy, but for her I believe she would relapse severely.

You're taking good care of Jake, giving him good food like Canidae aren't you? I'm all for ditching the meds if possible and continuing with immune builders and quality food. As for signs, they are the same as when you first noticed it. If you choose to discontinue meds your watchful eye will be essential. It's a tough choice, but it's always better to not be stuck with a lifetime of azole drugs. Look in your heart, and trust your gut!
Sheila
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jakelover



Joined: 14 Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Location: Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shiela,
Thanks as always for your wealth of knowledge. He has been on it since May 06. Just about 1 year. He is eating Wellness and I give him milk thistle and Azmira'a Pet vitamin as well as his fluconazole and soloxine for thyroid. He hasn't had another problem wih his toe...that is cured since September. I haven't found anymore lumps on him for the cancer though I am trying not to "search" for anything anymore. He is still fiesty and playful. I feel better knkowing that he wont just become suddenly ill again. It makes taking him off the meds an easier decision. I appreciate your advice, it is always helpful.

Gail
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Copyright © 2002-2013 valleyfeversurvivor.com All Rights Reserved


Terms of Use

Board Powered by phpBB © 2013 phpBB Group