ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Hombre

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Hombre Reply with quote

Hello,
I learned about this site from a man who is now suffering VF. He informed me that the site also deals with dogs (animals) with VF. I live in So. CA. and my dog, Hombre, was diagnosed with VF in 9/08. We have a vacation home on the Colorado River north of Blythe, CA. where I believe Hombre contracted the disease. After reading several of your postings I can ID alot of the symptoms he had that were diagnosed incorrectly. Aggressive bone cancer was the first diagnosis after he became lame over the weekend. A canine oncologist reviewed his file/x-rays and let me know that she was not 100% convinced that it was cancer. He also had terrible oozing sores on his face that was treated as bacterial, his tail sagged, lack of energy and stamina. The latest x-rays shows bone is re-generating but his titer results have gone from 1:4 to 1:8. I could ramble on but I just wanted to pass on how nice it is to have a suport group and great resources. I plan to share Dr. Shubitz info. with my vet.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry I missed your post when you first posted. VF in canines can be a terrible heartbreaker, just like in humans. Dr. Shubitz has been wonderful about talking with us and especially talking with our vets. I hope this has worked out for you. Yes, a support group means everything, especially at the beginning of the diagnosis. Please post and let us know how Hombre is doing.

Is he taking any anti-fungal meds yet? Sometimes you will see quick turn-arounds, sometimes not. But sometimes the titers will elevate as the dog/person tries so hard to heal. The immune system fighting will drive the titers up, so don't be alarmed. It could actually be a good sign. My Jennie's titers went to 1:128 and I could see that she was fighting for her life. Titers are an indication of how the immune system is responding, not how bad the cocci infection is. That's when the immune system needs support. Negative titers in a very sick dog is really not a good sign, it could mean the immune system gave up.

So hang in there, keep us posted. Always you will find support here. Read some of the people posts. The information runs parallel with animals. And take care of yourself. Don't let Hombre see you depressed. You know how dogs pick up on your emotions. That's really important too.
Linda R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Hombre Reply with quote

Hombre has been on anti-fungal since 10/09. After reading alot of the postings I feel pretty fortunate. He has a good appetite, skin and coat look good and he is pretty active. Although he pretty much poops out after @ 1.5 miles on a walk. He and I had been up to @3 miles/day. He sleeps more than he used to and preens (?) himself alot like a cat. My vet has been in touch with Dr. Shubitz and she made some suggestions for Hombre's medicine dosage. My vet has only treated a few cases of the VF in dogs and was appreciative of my sharing Dr. Shubitz's information.

Thank you for responding and inquiring about Hombre.
Sincerely,
Linda
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: