ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Rabies Vaccine

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakelover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Rabies Vaccine Reply with quote

I need some information on wether to get Jake his rabies vaccine. I just received the renewal and he is due for the shot. I have an appointment on Friday and don't know if there is an alternate option to giving him the vaccine. Will this hurt him and his fight wtih VF?
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not give either of my VF dogs any shots at all. I have a kennel permit and every year they check on me and my rabies vacs for the group. I have a letter from my vet that says it is an immune system compromise to give them shots, including rabies, and that since they have had all their shots prior to getting vf he is not concerned about their rabies immunity. My opinion, don't do it. And don't worry about rabies unless you are taking him to Mexico.
Sheila
Jakelover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Shiela, as always.

I hope that my vet will be open to this. I dont give him any of his other shots and haven't for years.

Hope all is well with you and your rugrats!
Gail
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail, if you want to give my vet as a reference for this I'm sure they won't mind. They have been working with me and the beegs since 2004, including all my herbal protocols, xrays, everything. Once they faxed all of Jennie's records to another vet so I know they would be happy to cooperate if it would help. Let me know and I will give you the contact info.

See what your vet says first, but don't let him talk you into the rabies shot because "he's the doctor." Just like with all of us people with vf and our doctors. If we listened to them all the time, some of us would be in trouble. I will be interested to hear how it goes.
Sheila
Jakelover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiela,

I emailed Dr. Schubitz in Tucson today and she felt there isn't a reason to not vaccinate him for rabies. She felt there wasn't any concern at all. I will definitley discuss this with my vet and see where he stands too. I will contact you after our appt Friday and let you know what I have decided to do.
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. You need to do what you feel comfortable with. That's the most important thing. I am heavily involved in alternative medicine and holistic treatment/natural foods etc for my animals. In the natural health world for dogs vaccinosis is a major topic, and we are finding that many veterinarians are also voicing their opinions in support of reducing the over-vaccinating that we do by rote.

With my rescue dogs we are always concerned about doubling a rabies vaccination because of the severity of vaccinosis. I spend time tracking down rabies vacs certificates from shelters in order to avoid doubling that vaccination. It is not harmless. And this is for healthy dogs that require this shot by law. We are very careful about rabies. It's bad enough every 3 years. The new research shows twice in a lifetime should be sufficient.

My concern with rabies used to be because we hiked in open desert, found dead animals, my kitty brought in a rabid bat once. If your activities are not so wild, I surely wouldn't be overly concerned.

But you have to do what's comfortable for YOU. Take all the info and make a qualified decision. I am not one to do what the doctor says, even Dr. Shubitz. It will probably be just fine if you choose to vaccinate. But be aware, there is a controversy on the over-vaccination of rabies shots and make the choice that's comfortable for you.
Sheila
Jakelover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I went ahead and allowed them to give him the shot. they said that in their experiences and for living in Arizona that is a lot, the rabies has never been a problem with Valley Fever. But now His paw is really raw (Found it Sunday am) Dont know if this is related or the fact we had a pool party Saturday. He was on the cool decking alot. Only one paw is affected. It looks so sore, I am watching it for today and taking him back in tomorrow if not improving but so far it doesn't look any worse if anything it is a little less raw this morning. It is always something and at first I panicked and imagined terrible things. Then I looked at him, and he was mellow becasue I am sure it hurts but otherwise wondering where dinner was! I then said we have been through much worse and I need to relax a little. I just hate they can't talk and tell you. You are always guessing with them. Anyhow, I appreciate your advice and took it with great thought and consideration.
Sheila

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to worry Gail and just keep an eye on it. Sounds like it might just be the pool party, I hope. Most people do give the rabies shots anyway. My Jennie had been so sick, almost lost her lung (would have if I had followed the vets advice at the beginning, which I didn't), and started life so sick that I just didn't want to gamble on her. Motley's condition is more like Jake's and probably he would be just fine with the shots. So don't worry, just keep that watchful eye as always and please let us know about his paw.
Sheila
Wendy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is long after the fact, but for future reference for others...

I would discuss this with your vet, but I wouldn't let your dog go without rabies vaccine unless absolutely necessary during rehab.

Yes, it's unlikely she'll run into another rabid dog - but many species carry rabies besides dogs. If your dog goes outside, it should have the vaccine if at all possible.

It's also similar to why you get your kids vaccinated for measles. The REASON rabies isn't common in the USA is because of vaccines, not just by accident.

Don't skip it if you don't have to -

W
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: