ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Valley Fever Epidemic - a book to help YOU

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Valley Fever Epidemic - a book to help YOU Reply with quote

Valley Fever Epidemic is the First and Only comprehensive, complete, and up-to-date book written especially for the lay person on the subject of coccidioidomycosis, commonly known as Valley Fever.

It is easy to read and understand and features detailed in-depth information on the disease's symptoms, diagnosis, testing, drugs and treatment, risk factors, and more. This book also includes maps and statistics, frequently asked questions, what you need to know before you see a doctor, how to help boost your immune system, and stories that people with Valley Fever sent to the authors at www.valleyfeversurvivor.com. The chapter on how Valley Fever affects animals contains stories from pet owners as well.

The first edition of this book has a bonus medical glossary of over 465 words with definitions that translate all the technical medical jargon into plain English. Although this book has been written for the lay person, even medical professionals will find it enlightening. It is backed by hundreds of medical journal citations and has been reviewed by several eminent Valley Fever doctors and other professionals.

This book tells you everything you need to know about Valley Fever. It dispels myths and misconceptions. Whether you are newly diagnosed, had Valley Fever for years, know someone with Valley Fever, or never heard of Valley Fever before, you will be surprised at what you will learn.

If you have ever lived in, visited or passed through Arizona, California, Nevada, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Mexico or other risk areas, the detailed information provided in this book is especially important for you to know. If you are a resident or are considering moving to any of the states where this fungus lives and thrives, it is vital that you learn what to do if you contract Valley Fever. The knowledge you gain from Valley Fever Epidemic may save you or a loved one from unnecessary suffering.

Some people are buying more than one copy to give to their doctors to educate them about this disease.

To read Valley Fever Epidemic book reviews by Dr. Hans Einstein, Dr. Royce Johnson, Dr. Craig Rundbaken, Dr. Steven Oscherwitz, and Dr. Srijita Sen go to www.valleyfeverepidemic.com

Other professionals such as Dr. Garry Cole (the UTSA Valley Fever vaccine), Sandra Larson (Executive Director of the Valley Fever Vaccine Project) can have their reviews read at the web site above.

A professional editor wrote the following review as a Valley Fever Survivor:

I am overwhelmed and thrilled that someone has FINALLY written a book about Valley Fever. You have done an unbelievably outstanding job researching this subject, and I found the book to be extremely enlightening, easy to read and easy to understand.

More importantly, this book has vindicated me and many others afflicted with Coccidioidomycosis, who have been ridiculed and told to "get a life," as well as others who have been forced to go from doctor to doctor because the medical profession, as a whole, does not recognize the severity of this disease.

Had this book been available when I was first diagnosed, it would not have taken me over a year, and several doctors, and many tests, to finally find the right doctor. It would have spared me all the days and nights of tears and fear over what to do and worry over why no one believed me.

Your six years of hard work have paid off with this wonderful achievement.

I thank you.

Honey De Serre, Editor
The Bugler & The Sentinel
Publications of the Jewish War Veterans (JWV) of the USA
Copper State Post 619 & Depít of Southwest

If you are interested in Valley Fever Epidemic, go to www.valleyfeverepidemic.com to buy from us, and you can order an autographed copy if you wish. Our book is also available at www.amazon.com www.barnesandnoble.com and many other online book sellers. You can even walk into your favorite brick-and-mortar bookstore and request that they order a copy for you. If you purchase your book through www.valleyfeverepidemic.com we receive more profit which we can then utilize for more advocacy work. Also, you can request that your public library carry the book. Its Library of Congress Control Number is 2008904803.

Valley Fever Epidemic may be the most important book you will ever read for your health's sake.

Thank you for your support,

David Filip
Sharon Filip
Founders, www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-Authors of Valley Fever Epidemic
www.valleyfeverepideimic.com
kat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sharon and Dave,

I am so excited about your new book! I just ordered two of them as I know so many people that I want to loan this book to. They are all snowbirders who need to know the symptoms of VF. I can't wait to read it. Thank you!
vfs_admin_Sharon
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for buying "Valley Fever Epidemic." You should receive your copies any day now.

This is such a fantastic book that answers thousands of questions that people have written on the message board and those that wrote to us privately. This is the ultimate book on Valley Fever.

I wish a book like this was available when I contracted VF, but at least we were able to do that for all those that live in the endemic areas, have contracted Valley Fever already, friends and family of those stricken with VF, anyone who has ever driven through or flown through an endemic region and all tourists and retirees contemplating going into an endemic area. It even has information on fomite transmission which is a serious problem for people in non-endemic areas. There was a man in Oregon who contracted VF just because he worked on the underside of a truck that had previously been driven from Arizona to Oregon. Everyone should read this book and become educated as to the truth about this disease. This dispels misconceptions and a lot of misleading information that has been around for decades. People can request their local library carry it if they do not wish to purchase a copy.

Dave and I wish things had turned out differently for your wonderful brother, but he was truly blessed to have you for a sister. Max will always be alive in our hearts and I am sure he is watching over you as is your mom.

With love and appreciation,

Sharon
Founder
www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-Author of "Valley Fever Epidemic"
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
kat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,

I got my books already! That was fast! Thank you so much for your consoling words of comfort. It truly helps to know that even though you did not know Max personally, you took the time and interest to learn about what type of person he was.

You have given everyone on this website such a wonderful gift of knowing they are not alone and can share their fears and questions with others. Now you have gone a giant step further with this book. I hope it is a huge success in helping to bring out the truth about VF.

Kathy
kat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to encourage anyone who has questions regarding Valley Fever to know that your answers are probably in this book. It is so easy to read and understand. If you can't afford to buy this book ask your local library to get it.

If you have Valley Fever or have a loved one who has it, this book will help guide you through testing, medications, how to talk to your doctors, find help obtaining medications if you can't afford it and answer so many questions that even the most knowledgable doctors can't answer. It is through the experience of those who have gone through VF that can answer the most difficult questions.

You can find it all at your fingertips in this book.
Ria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and Sharon, I loved your book and only wish that is was available when I was in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy 9 years ago. I would have never moved from the East coast to Arizona if my Ob/Gyn would have told me that I was at high risk. I really feel that every Ob/Gyn should be educated about this. Luckily, my Ob/Gyn in Arizona was able to diagnosis me as soon as he did, as I know many people suffer more than I do. Unfortunately it is something that we all have to live with for the rest of our lives. Have you ever published an article in any of the pregnancy magazines or even the famous books that talk about pregnancy and what to expect? Thank you for all that you have done to educate others. I look forward to reading many more of your publications. Sincerely, Ria
vfs_admin_Sharon
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat,

Thank you for writing to let everyone know about "Valley Fever Epidemic." It wasn't easy to write or put together but Dave and I knew how important it would be to those with Valley Fever and those without Valley Fever to know about. I also want to thank you for your reviews. They are very much appreciated. We were thinking about and praying for you and your family at the anniversary of the loss of Max. Your help and caring on this board is very valuable and important to many. We hope you will stay and continue your support of others. You will always be welcomed here.

Ria,

I also want to thank you for supporting us and purchasing our book. We are pleased to hear that it was helpful to you. Dave and I love to hear from everyone that has read "Valley Fever Epidemic." We have not had the chance to start any publicity yet for our book other than letting people on our web site know about it. We plan on talking with many different places including pregnancy magazines, etc. Dave and I truly appreciate your support and everyone who has ever written to us. We are blessed by all the wonderful thanks we have received.

We wish good health to everyone on this message board. I hope that all of you will eventually read "Valley Fever Epidemic." As Kat mentioned above if you can not afford to buy it request that your local library obtain a copy for you. Each and every one of you deserve to know the facts and the information this book provides.

Thanks again for all the kind words,

Sharon
Founder
www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-Author of "Valley Fever Epidemic"

***Note: Many have written to us asking what they can do to help us. If anyone on this message board has not filled out a VF Questionnaire, appropriate state poll, Opinion Poll, etc. those forms would be welcomed. We are still gathering statistics and VF stories for our major new book which should be coming out in late 2009. These forms appear on the horizontal bar near the top of the www.valleyfeversurvivor.com main page. Thanks!
Linda E.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon and Dave...

What an outstanding book "Valley Fever Epidemic" is!!! You have made it so it is so easy to read and understand. So many times one has to stop and look up a word that they just read and then re-read the paragraph or sentence over again in order to figure out what was just written. In your book the reading is smooth and you don't have to stop to look something up....my kind of book!!!

I highly recommend "Valley Fever Epidemic" to everyone including the medical profession. It is very rewarding and full of information everyone can benefit from. The Valley Fever glossary book is yet another compliment to your work.

Thank you!!!
Linda

My website: http://mistyblue2.bravehost.com/index2.htm
BLP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: vf book Reply with quote

I thank the people who wrote the vf epidemic book. I also thank my daughter for buying it for me and I thank my daughter-in-law for letting me use her computer. I have learned soooo.. much! After having vf flare up the second time and getting the titers back down to 1:2, I didn't know that I should of had the doctor check the titers again like every 6 months- 1 yr.. This is my third flare-up and after I am done this time with the medicine if they take me off of it- I will make sure that I get the titer test every year!( because I do have other lung issues)
BLP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did forget to thank one other person- and he is my Pulmonary doctor, who first did the titer test for me when I asked him to, without any questions or hassles!
Louie'sDad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my book today and have now finished it. It is a book every VF patient must have in understanding their disease. I especially loved the section which assists people in knowing how to read their lab tests.

Thank you for writing the book, it will be a reference book I will go back to time and again.
brown23

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this book discuss pregnancy with valley fever? How much in depth does it go if so?? How about healthy women who have this disease and want to get pregnant? Thinking about purchasing this book. Any info. appreciated. Thanks.
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brown 23,

This book touches on pregnancy with Valley Fever although not in depth. However, the invaluable information throughout this book is useful for women who are pregnant as well as those that are healthy and want to get pregnant. I can tell you that if you are on meds there isn't a doctor I know who would say that you should get pregnant. If you have Valley Fever and it is dormant, there is always a risk that it might activate. Even the fetus could be infected. Fetal infection may be rare and some doctors deny it can happen, but the medical proof is cited in the book.

Ria wrote a review for us on Amazon which I copied below:

ALL Pregnant Women should read this INCREDIBLE book!!
I was in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy when I moved from Massachusetts to Arizona in October 1999. Little did I know that I was at risk for contracting Valley Fever. After living in Arizona for only 1 month, I was faced with the horrible symptoms described so clearly in this book. My new OB/GYN in Arizona was aware of the symptoms of Valley Fever and immediately had me tested and treated. Thankfully, my baby was born healthy. Unfortunately, I have been suffering with Valley Fever ever since! I WISH THIS BOOK WAS AVAILABLE 9 YEARS AGO AND MY DOCTOR IN MASSACHUSETTS WAS KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT VALLEY FEVER......I NEVER WOULD HAVE MOVED TO ARIZONA!!!! This book is a MUST for ALL doctors AND pregnant women, especially those who live and/or visit an epidemic area!!!!

Whether you buy this book or go to your local library and request they order a copy for you, I also think you would benefit greatly by reading this book.

All my best,

David Filip
voiceforaction@valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-founder of www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-author of "Valley Fever Epidemic"
vf survivor 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant afford the book right now, my local library is getting in stock, and later im ordering one for myself...i heard its an excellent book....tj
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: