ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
What kind of lumps can be caused by VF?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qofmiwok

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: What kind of lumps can be caused by VF? Reply with quote

My 2 year old golden retriever got fast growing lumps on her hindquarters at the same time as coughing. (We're talking very fast growing. The lump wasn't there one day, was there the next, and very large the next, and now there's a few of them.) The vet was sure it was metastasized cancer. But they took chest xrays and the radiologist said the lungs looked like Valley Fever or bronchitis. The biopsy of the lump said most likely spindle cell neoplasia, BUT it could be just reactive fibroplasia (granulation tissue).

It will be days before the VF titers come back, and if it's chronic they might not even reflect VF.

I have read that lumps can be formed by VF. But I can't find any details. If anybody has experience with what the VF lumps can look and behave like, I would really appreciate it.

Huli is the sweetest, happiest dog I've ever known.
crafteed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: lumps Reply with quote

I have a cat, so this may be different. He did not exhibit the typical symptoms that dogs do. Was told that felines usually do not produce lung impairment & their behavior is tricky to read. It's usually skin lesions & weight loss that clue the vet in.

With that said, our cat started to grow a lump near his spine last year. At 1st it was small, but it continually grew in size for many months. The last time we felt the bump, it felt like fluid was underneath (squishy/moveable). We finally decided to make an appt for a biopsy. By the time the appt came, the lump had started to ooze & was now just an irritated lesion with no fur. That's what made the vet think to have him tested for VF instead of the biopsy, which came back as a surprising positive. The lumps mean it has disseminated. Sad

I must also note that when we came back from vacation last summer, he was limping (this was just prior to the lump growth). Xrays could not diagnose. But now that we know he has VF & learned it can cause lameness....we're thinking this is the possible cause.

he's been on Fluconzole for 2 months now & his liver panel is excellent. In another 4 mos we will have him tested for progress.

A few months ago, I was clueless that animals could get VF. Not so clueless anymore!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: