ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
A quick hello

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shellcat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: A quick hello Reply with quote

Hi...I just found out last week that my cat, Dusty, has valley fever. The vet seemed to think that it was a pretty advanced case - she had a very swollen lymph node that was removed (and she's got another one that I just noticed yesterday in her shoulder blades that is also quite swollen). She's been put on fluconazole (has been taking it since Wednesday). I was wondering, though, for those who have had pets who have begun treatment...how long did it take for you to notice a difference in your pets? When did they start acting better?

Dusty has been sleeping a lot since the removal of the lymph node...initially it was probably because of the surgery but it's been more than a week since the surgery and the amount of sleeping and lethargy hasn't really decreased (she might leave my bed 3-4 hours a day...and often that's to go someplace else to sleep!). I'm freaking out, though, and I really, really hope the medicine kicks in sooner rather than later.
Sheila

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give Dusty at least 10 days to 2 weeks, even more, for recovery from the surgery if she has vf. She might be slow to heal and rest is the best thing for her. With the vf in her lymph system she's bound to be tired a lot. The fluc will hopefully work to prevent any further dissemination while she heals. After that it's individual how an animal responds. If they react well immediately it could be a matter of days to a week or so before you see improvement. Unfortunately there are some that do not improve at all. It's quite an elusive condition and time will tell.

You didn't mention how old she was. Sometimes that plays a part, sometimes not. How's she doing now?
Sheila
shellcat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks :o) Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it!

Dusty is 9...so well into middle age, I guess. She's a pretty healthy cat other than the valley fever, so I have high hopes that the treatment will be effective. It's now been right at 2 weeks since I've started treatment...she's back to her presurgery self which is quite reassuring! She's got another lump, which I think is another swollen lymph node, that I want the vet to check out, but other than that (and the twice daily fights to get her to take her medication!) things are looking up.

Thanks again for the reply - I do appreciate it! Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: