ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
ANYONE HAD SKULL INJECTIONS IN CALIF?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NANCY LOU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: ANYONE HAD SKULL INJECTIONS IN CALIF? Reply with quote

After 5 years of diflucan and vefend I'm afraid that I might be told that as last resort I will have to resort to skull injections. The only doctor I know that is qualified is a doctor in Bakersfield. My question is has anyone had such an experience? I'd like to hear from you. Thanks Nancy Lou
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Intrathecal Amphotericin (Skull Injections) . . . Reply with quote

Hi Nancy Lou:

I began having intrathecal (skull) injections 8 years ago after failing a long and very high dose course of Fluconazole (diflucan). The injectable medicine that you speak of is Amphotericin-B (AmBisome) also colloquially known as ampho-terrible. You mentioned that you have a Dr in Bakersfield. Is it Royce Johnson by chance? Dr Johnson is responsible for outlining a treatment regimine that my Dr (in San Diego) followed to a "T". I credit both of them with saving my life. These treatments were indeed a last resort (as you say). Even as I laid comatous in ICU, my family was reluctant to proceed until the Dr informed them that without intrathecal ampho there would be no chance that I would survive my infection. Before the treatments began, an Ommaya resevoir (about the size of a nickel) was surgically implanted under the skin (invisible) behind my left ear into which the amphotericin is injected. A small tube leads from the resevoir, through the skull and into the basilar cistern at the base of my skull. This places the medicine directly into the brain/spinal fluid to combat the infection. It has been a long time coming but the cocci in my brain/spinal fluid (cocci-meningitis) is presently undetectable. While the last 8 years of intrathecal amphotericin treatments have been a very rough ride, they are also the reason that I am alive today. I would be happy to share my experiences with you.

Sincerely,
Robin
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: