ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
VF and Hormones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyttlejenn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: VF and Hormones Reply with quote

Have been diagnosed since Sept 07. I am taking 400 mg Diflucan daily. Have always had itching and lip problems but I have recently experienced extreme fatigue. Saw my Dr today and we talked about VF/Diflucan and Hormones. Is anyone experiencing hormones going from one extreme to another? Extreme fatigue, not necessiarily tired just fatigued. We talked about a possible drop in my hormone levels. He's wondering about a drop in the Testosterone levels expecially. Says he's waiting until next month to test blood again and was going to really look at the hormones. Thanks for any help. Jeanne
dmmuniz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I dont have an answer or suggestions but I know my brother has been feeling really tired lately and he describes the same thing you do, which to me I don't really understand. He says I am just fatigued but not tired more like weak, the smallest thing he does can drain the energy right out of him for example if he goes out of town (about 1-2 hour drive) he will feel it.
gbunch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Testosterone levels Reply with quote

Hi lyttlejenn,
I have had VF since 1992 and I can tell you that at times I have had system wide dysfunction. I had lost pounds that I could not afford to lose. I am 5' 8" and was 135 lbs. I dropped to 118 in less than 2 weeks. I had a real hard time gaining any weight, I ate ton's of food with no luck (at least my tummy was full Smile. The doc tested my Testosterone levels and found them at 2 yes 2. I was given Testred (Spelling ??) and within a month, I was gaining poundage! I have to be tested every once in a while for Testosterone levels and that has helped so much. I am at 145 - 150 lbs now and with the right weight on me, I feel the difference. I still hurt mind you, but I am able to handle it better than before. I sure hope this helps you. Having things out of order ain't no fun. Be good and have a better day tomorrow. ~Glenn (gbunch) ~
GPM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the men here should have their testosterone checked. Chronic VF is a bear for everyone but if your testosterone goes low forget it. Mine was under the minimum and getting it back to midrange has made a huge difference. Who knows why it dropped but there are countless possibilities. Either way when it is low you are going to feel like a wet rag at best. Also, you will lose muscle very quickly.
gbunch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Testosterone levels Reply with quote

I wonder if the Testosterone levels are a key here. I know 9 people that have VF and if I remember right each one had low levels. If I can track them all down, I will verify that with them. I am waiting for my new book to come in. I ordered the VF book from this site and I can't wait to read it. It may have a reference to that in it.
~Glenn~
Dynen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had high testosterone levels even though I am female. I was diagnosed with VF almost two years ago.

I haven't had my hormone levels tested in a while but now I'm curious. I'll have them test my testerone next time I have blood work.
GPM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn,

PLEASE track down the men who you said had VF and low testosterone. We should get some kind of brief history on them like when they got VF, when they noticed physically being weak or muscle wasting, and then when they were diagnosed with low testosterone. This could be very valuable information. I don't think this is addressed in the VF book. This is very important information.

Dynen - definitely have your hormone levels tested. While I was speaking more about men, it would seem that if VF can mess up mens hormones, it could do the same to women. That in turn can make you fell pretty bad.

Greg
bruincat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my blood checked every six weeks because of the rheumatoid arthritis drugs that I take. I don't ever recall that any of my docs has mentioned testosterone levels. Perhaps that means the level have always been OK, or perhaps it means that they never check it. Is it a separate test? I always get my CRP tested every six weeks.
Jim
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This seems like an interesting thread since the only medically known cases of hormonal change specifically due to Valley Fever are in cases where a VF lesion attacks a hormone-producing organ like the thyroid or adrenal glands. The damaged organ's function could be the cause of the hormonal changes. Other than that, there is no data I could find on Valley Fever specifically causing a hormonal change.

The disease can be affected by some hormones like progesterone and corticosteroids, but again cocci itself is not known to affect hormone levels.

The closest thing I could find, other than dissemination to hormone-producing organs, dealt with the antifungal drugs. One report was a German article from 2002 mentioning that fluconazole reduced testosterone in male rabbits (but did not indicate human testing):

el-Medany AH, Hagar HH.
Effect of fluconazole on the fertility of male rabbits.
Arzneimittelforschung. 2002;52(8 ):636-40.

I also found two articles from the 1980's that say the drug Ketoconazole can reduce testosterone in men:

Van Tyle JH.
Ketoconazole. Mechanism of action, spectrum of activity, pharmacokinetics, drug interactions, adverse reactions and therapeutic use.
Pharmacotherapy. 1984 Nov-Dec;4(6):343-73.

Pont A, Williams PL, Azhar S, Reitz RE, Bochra C, Smith ER, Stevens DA.
Ketoconazole blocks testosterone synthesis.
Arch Intern Med. 1982 Nov;142(12):2137-40.

So VF patients with hormonal issues have three possibilities:

1) VF disseminated to attack an organ that produces hormones.
2) The patient is taking a substance that affects hormone levels (whether it is fluconazole, ketoconazole, another drug, a combination of drugs, or perhaps a drug that affects hormone levels but is not known to do so).
3) Another medical issue is responsible for the hormonal change, and Valley Fever is not. Thyroid issues are very common.

All of this seems worthwhile to mention when speaking to your doctors.

I hope this is helpful.

All my best,

David Filip
voiceforaction@valleyfeversurvivor.com
www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-Author of Valley Fever Epidemic
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
GPM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my testosterone levels tested so low I did some research as well and found what Dave came up with. Antifungals can definitely affect the testes. Also, I had a fever of 104 plus, every day, for at least a month. Typically, fevers will affect the testes temporarily but who knows about a chronic situation.

Jim - MD's almost never test for testosterone unless it is indicated due to some symptoms. Even then they don't always look there. My MD who is a good doctor and open minded told me after receiving the results that he only did the test to "humor" me because he thought there was no way that I had low testosterone. At least he is humble enough to admit it. And right then and there he drew some blood for pituitary tests and then gave me an injection of testosterone.

I hope that Glenn can follow up with the people who he knows which have this problem. It may indicate a trend of some sort.

Greg
gbunch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Testosterone levels Reply with quote

I will try to track these guy's down. I have been moving to Nevada so it may take some time. I will see if my old doctor is back from school. He was asked to attend for some special training that lasts for a year. He should be done by now. I hope this is something that helps. I have not done any research, but if it helps, that is great.
This may be from some medication we had been on. I have had many different medications since this all started in the early 90's.
Thanks. ~G~
PS. I have an appointment to get my testosterone levels checked along with other blood tests. I will see if they have changed any. I have not had any testosterone medication for 4 months. We will see if my system has taken over and is keeping them up or not. ~G~
lyttlejenn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: VF and Hormones Reply with quote

I got the results from my Dr on my hormone levels and they were horrible. My Estrogen barely registered. -(.03). I also take a daily Estratest tablet daily. There was no Testosterone in my blood. It did not register. The test that the Dr had done was an Equilibrium Dialysis Test. He says this is the only accurate test for Testosterone. He says this test will give an accurate count. I have been on Testim 1%, about a quarter tube of gel daily. My energy has improved tremendously. It has been 7 days now. I can finally walk up stairs and not be exhausted. He also feels that since VF is a systemic illness that hormone levels will drop and that also taking Diflucan will even make the levels drop further. It will be interesting to see over time if the Testim Gel helps. Smile Jeanne
Rudys Wife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: testosterone levels Reply with quote

My husband also has a very low testosterone level since he got VF in August 2005. He didn't have this prior to VF. He has been on Androgel for about a year, but it didn't seem to improve the level too much, so now he is on some other kind of testosterone replacement. He has been off work since May of 2006. He continues to feel terrible. He has alot of pain, and also complains about the exhaustion. Sometimes he can't even open his eyes, he says he feels paralyzed, like he can't move anything. So far the testosterone hasn't helped.

SS Disability rejected his claim, and I filed an appeal. Maybe I should have hired an attorney, but I'm going to see if it goes through on the appeal first. [Keeping my fingers crossed] This is just a terrible disease!

Peace,

Donna*
Rudys Wife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeanne,

Do you live attend or live near CSUF? I'm just curious because my husband and you both got VF about the same time. He got his at CSUF.

Peace,

Donna*
lyttlejenn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: VF and Hormones Reply with quote

Donna,

I do live near Cal State Fullerton, but I believe I got VF in Arizona. We have a home in Bullhead City, AZ and I was doing alot of hiking in the hills looking for rocks. Was in many areas with undisturbed dirt and it is always very windy. They think I probably got it sometime in 2004 or 2005.

I am using Testim Gel daily. Have been using it for two weeks now. Will be having blood work again on 10/22 to see if the levels increase.

Take care.

Jeanne
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: