ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
My Sparky

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vsparky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: My Sparky Reply with quote

I'm new to all this but am learning. It all started with Sparky was having kidney problems. He peed ALOT and drank ALOT too, he had an issue with the Menu foods recall and was poisoned by Nutro- which I feel a lot of guilt about because he quit wanting to eat his canned food and I started adding chicken and tuna to it to get him to eat it...I was force feeding my dog poison.

Anyway, that's how we discovered he had VF 1:32 and tick fever, through the tests they did when his kidneys started to fail while eating the melamine. As soon as I stopped feeding it to him, his liquid input and
output returned to normal. I gave him fluconazole and doxycycline (for
the tick fever) for 2 months he seemed fine (I was very uneducated
then) so for about a year and a half he didn't take any meds.

About 4 1/2 months ago he had a seizure going down the stairs to go out
(we live on the 3rd floor in condo). I immediately called the vet who
couldn't see him until the next afternoon. Well he had another in the
morning and another right before we left to go to the vet. He seemed
to be getting weaker after each one to the point at the vets office he
couldn't really get up on his own and walked very staggered and kept
falling down. The vet put him on Phenobarbital 60mg 2x a day and
started fluconazole 200mg 2x a day.

The seizures continued for another day about every 6-8 hours, we (with
the vet) raised the dose to of Phenobarbital to 120mg 2x and day. The third day the seizures stopped and thank god he has not had another. We have been able to reduce his dose to 30mg 1x a day with no seizures.

He couldn't get up on his own for about 2 weeks. We started Osteo Bi-
flex triple strength(glucosamine chondroitin w/msm) 2x a day and fish
oil 1000mg 2x a day and saw him able to lift himself from the ground
and walk fairly straight with in a week. He continues to improve and
can now go down the stairs on his own but we still carry him up the
stairs 2-3 times a day (I went to the doctor last month for my back). His
back end is still weak but he keeps improving, and can do 2 flights of the stairs UP all by himself

His titer was 1:64 at the time the seizures started. He now takes 200mg fluc 2x a day. He has a vet appointment on Monday to get new blood tests.

I applaude those that started this web site as well as those that participate. Thank you! Wink

I feel alot of guilt for allowing him to go off the meds initially after 2 months because i didn't know any better. Places like this help provide an education to the public and maybe someone else won't have to go through was Sparky has been through

Any advice or comments are very welcome
BLP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a pet that has vf. I have vf! I like to read the stories and came across yours. So sorry to here about your pet! What made me write to you is that I have been in alot of pain for months and the pain meds that my doctor gives me, just don't work! I was at the Dollar Tree store last week and went to the vitamin isle and a bottle of medicine caught my eye-Glucosamine Joint Therapy(500mg.) I bought it for $1.00, been using it for a week and my pain is practically gone! I am so glad I bought it. I have to take 3 a day, so the btl. doesn't last long- and there is still times, when I still use a pain pill now and then, but I am not in all that pain anymore! So, I am glad that your pet is getting better!
BLP
Sheila

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Sparky Reply with quote

vsparky wrote:
I
I feel alot of guilt for allowing him to go off the meds initially after 2 months because i didn't know any better. Places like this help provide an education to the public and maybe someone else won't have to go through was Sparky has been through

Any advice or comments are very welcome

I haven't been around for a while, but it's time I checked in again. I have 3 dogs with VF and I have VF. The one thing that's so important is to NOT feel guilty about anything. You are doing so much for Sparky and he surely was a victim of unforeseen problems. The food recall was devastating and certainly could have triggered other reactions.

Did he get new blood work done? How often do you check his titers? It takes a while for titers to change and that's not always an indication of what's really going on with him.

What happens with dogs is very much parallel to what happens with people. You might peruse the other forums here to learn more about how people handle the tough times. But you are doing everything you can and learning so I applaud your efforts.

One thing I know is that if you put poison into your system it makes it that much harder to recover. You must feed clean. No BHT, no preservatives, perhaps a food with digestive enzymes. I feed Canidae because it's the cheapest of the Good foods. Diet is Everything. If his body has to work to deal with chemicals, then his immune system has to work that much harder and his titers might stay high. The other side of that coin would be like my Jennie, who was fighting SO HARD that her titers showed it.

And therein lies the problem with VF. The titers can be a mark of the condition, but they do not necessarily tell you why. And when the titers are negative and the dog (or person) is really sick, that certainly could be a sign of the immune system giving up. This is where the scientific community is lacking. If you just go by the numbers you can be easily deceived.

Give yourself a pat on the back for all that you have done and are doing. Please keep us posted on Sparky's condition. I posted Jennie's story here because miracles do happen. Always remember that and keep your spirits high. How you feel is Known by Sparky and will affect him too. I look forward to your next post.
Sheila
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: