ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
leg pain and spasms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRGW

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: leg pain and spasms Reply with quote

It's now been over a year since the diagnosis of VF. Major symptoms at this time continue to be marked to severe leg pain with muscle spasms. Ankle an hip joints get painful as well as the knees. Just had another blood test run to check the titers however do not have the results as of yet. Any suggestions on what to do as my titers in the past were negative?
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: leg pain and spasms Reply with quote

Sounds stupid but try drinking lots of water. It sure won't hurt you and I find that if I drink a glass of room temperature water all at once it has an almost immediate effect on the leg problems. We get dehydrated and the muscles squeeze down on the nerves and cause them to hurt and spasm. Don't know if this will help but it's worth a try. Hope your solution is this simple...sometimes things are. I wish you good health.
CactusQueen60

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Response to leg pains... Reply with quote

I don't know if this helps or not, but I too suffer a lot - especially at night - with leg/hip pain and swelling of joints. Had major swelling last summer in ankles, wrists, elbows, knees.

I just had a blood test - C-Reactive Protein - which came back with a very high reading. My doctor (a naturopath) said she wasn't concerned about my heart since other levels like cholesterol/BP are low, but that there is some sort of inflammation in my body (that's what the C-Reactive Protein test detects).

My VF doc here in AZ, Dr. Galgiani, says it could be "Desert Rheumatism", which is what VF is nicknamed. It makes sense.

I am going to be getting more treatments from my naturopath (in Tucson) of high doses of Vitamin C intravenously; I will see if that helps. Vit. C in high doses turns to hydrogen peroxide and can help to kill off fungual infections (or so the doctor tells me). At this point, I am willing to experiment as I am in so much discomfort. I feel as if my body is really attacking itself - weak immune system I guess.

My next step is an RA blood test to see if rheumatism is present in my joints.

What a nasty, nasty disease! I hope they find a cure soon! Good luck and I hope my post helps a bit.

~Nance
DavidUK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: leg pain and spasms Reply with quote

I commenced taking Itraconazole at the end of November and only then did I have leg and joint pains within a week. At the time I did not know if this was VF or a side effect of the tablets.

At the same time I have been taking a large dose of vitamin C and vitamin D to build up my immune system plus a Garlic pill (Allicin) which is to clear fungal infections. My leg and joint pains have nearly disappeared and have never felt healthier in my body.

From blood tests done recently my immune system seems to be back to normal and my titers at <1:16.

When I read other lister's stories I wonder if I am one of the fortunate ones who have not been so drastically affected by this disease.

Thanks for all your advice and help on this discussion group.

David in the UK
k_dehesa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im experiencing those too! ive been told it was sciatica..
DRGW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: servere leg pain with fasiculations Reply with quote

It has now been over 4.5 years since the V.F. and the leg pain with spasms as well as pain in the joints has gotten worse. I have been to 9 different doctors including Neurologist in UCLA. I have MRI's, nerve conduction studies as well as numerous blood work ups. Nothing notable on the blood test with regards to the titers. Medications have included: vicadin, norco, 27oomg/day of the gabapentin/neuroco from the neurologist at UCLA. Neurologist final decision was to consider going to a pain management clinic. I have been going to an accupunctrist for the fourth time with no relief. Fasiculations are very notable and seen across the room by my wife and document on video. Looking for other options as well as suggestions to make life more bareable as well as maybe getting some sleep. At times I have been up for over 40 hours at a time because of the pain.
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to hear back from you but we all wish it were with better news to report.

While this may have been one of the earlier remedies you may have tried, it is worth asking. Have you done anything using magnesium supplements like magnesium orotate, magnesium citrate, mag phos, or epsom salt baths, particularly an hour before your scheduled time to sleep? Magnesium is one of the most common anti-spasm, anti-cramp, and nerve-calming remedies that is not sold with a prescription. Side effects of too much magnesium in general are related to laxative effects, but there could be something else particular for you or any individual based on medical conditions and treatments.

I just thought I might suggest magnesium to see if your medical professionals hadn't already, and you could ask whether that might be acceptable along with your current treatment plans.

Whatever the answer, I hope you can experience relief sooner than later.

Best of health,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
DRGW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: leg pain and fasiculations Reply with quote

Yes, my prior doctor had given magnesium phosphate with perscription but to no avail. I have done the epsom salt baths from time to time with relief only while soaking. I recently had backed off the Gabapentin from 2700mg/day to zero since I had not experienced any positive results. I went yesterday to have my titers check and I am awaiting the results.
Sheila

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried any natural products to help with pain/sleep? Magnesium is a really good idea but there are other herbal/natural things that might help. You can take up to 10mg of Melatonin and I would suggest a good dose of Hops to go with it, maybe 600mg or so, it doesn't need to be exact when you do herbals. I use a product also called Pain-Eze, which is a California Poppy product for pain. Subtle, but if you take it at night with the magnesium, melatonin and hops, you Might get results. Might not, but it's worth a try with no side effects.
k_poh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: leg pain and spasms Reply with quote

DavidUK wrote:
I commenced taking Itraconazole at the end of November and only then did I have leg and joint pains within a week. At the time I did not know if this was VF or a side effect of the tablets.

At the same time I have been taking a large dose of vitamin C and vitamin D to build up my immune system plus a Garlic pill (Allicin) which is to clear fungal infections. My leg and joint pains have nearly disappeared and have never felt healthier in my body.

From blood tests done recently my immune system seems to be back to normal and my titers at <1:16.

When I read other lister's stories I wonder if I am one of the fortunate ones who have not been so drastically affected by this disease.

Thanks for all your advice and help on this discussion group.

David in the UK

I apologize to the Op for this off topic question. My (whole family) moved to Arizona for employment reasons. We have decided to go back to the UK after my wife's contract ends, and I just want to be in contact with "DavidUK" to ask him some questions. I tried messaging him, but it looks like it is disabled. Hopefully he reads this.... or if the admins could help me contact David, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
Chris Gaynor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been battling valley fever for 4.5 years; 6 months ago I developed severs leg pain and cramping and couldn't walk 50feet; I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy; no cure for neuropathy of course; however, my primary care doctor prescribed 600mg of Lyrica and my pain doctor gave me an anti-inflammatory and I have never felt better; so far, 3 weeks without pain; it worked for me but don't know if it will work for anyone else.
DRGW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: leg pain Reply with quote

Chris what type of anti inflammatory med do you take. I have already over the past 4.5 years been on; cybalta, lyrica, prestique, 2500mg/day neurotin(gabapentin), vicodins, 10/325 hydrocodone(norco), nerve conductions studies, mri's, emg. I recently for the past month have not taken anything and the symptoms remain the same as with the meds. I was going to the accupuncture and that made the calf muscle pain and spasm worse. I can flex my calf muscle at will which triggers a major cramp. I only sleep about 3-4 hours a night at this time. My last blood test titers were negative.
DRGW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: leg pain and spasms diflucan Reply with quote

Since my titers come back negative and the leg pain, spasms, fasiculations and cramps continue. Does anyone know if to take diflucan in spite of the titers being negative be worth a shot considering its side effects.
Chris Gaynor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Leg pain and cramps Reply with quote

Is your name Dave, anyway, try 600mg a day of Lyrica combined with 1500mg of Nabumetone; the synergy of these two rid me of my leg pain.
DRGW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: unrelenting leg pains, fasiculations and muscle spasms Reply with quote

No my name is not Dave it is Gary. My situation continues to escalate over the years. I have now gone to 22 doctors including the pain management doctor. The leg pain is bilateral and has moved up into the groin area, hamstrings and quad muscles. Now my lower back as viewed in the last six months has deteriorated to the point that a fragment has broke off the l4/l5 disc and moved down behind the body of L5. Both of these disc are now bulged out and compressing the nerves. I just had my 3rd emg to please the neurologist which was negative for radiculopathy as I told him it would be. After the procedure it dramatically elevated the symptoms of pain for four days to a level that almost caused me to pass out. The neurologist said that my symptoms are not related to my back and that the surgery I need will not help the symptoms in my legs. I have continued to inform all the doctors that I have been to that the leg pain symptoms were simultaneous with the onset of my Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis) in November of 2009. I am now going to push for a spinal tap to further look for the cause of all this pain and discomfort. I have tried the recommendations on this feed over the years with no results. I would like to find a doctor who might think outside the box and not be so tunnel visioned to there scope of practice.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: