ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Valley Fever Contagious?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deedee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Valley Fever Contagious? Reply with quote

Today I took my dog to the vet because she has a few open sores on her tail area that are not healing. She has recently suffered from a ruptured anal gland which is also healing very slowly. The vet is concerned that the open sores might be cause by Valley Fever and is going to run blood tests for Valley Fever. This is the new piece of information from the vet that I am questioning. He said that if this sore is caused by Valley Fever then our family needs to be concerned and use caution because Valley Fever can be transmitted from a dog to a human via an open sore. I have since called the CDC who say this is not possible, I called the AZ Dept of Health, Epidemiology Dept and they have never heard of any such transmission being possible. I then called 3 area veterinary hospitals and they all agreed that IT IS POSSIBLE! I'm confused. Can it be transferred from dog to human or not? If anyone has any answers I would welcome them.
deedee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Another email from CDC Reply with quote

I contacted the CDC a second time for clarification. Here are the two responses that I received.

First email from CDC
Thank you for contacting the CDC Mycotic Diseases Branch. There is no evidence of animal to human transmission of coccidiomycosis. However, if you do live in an endemic area (such as Arizona) you should be monitored for the development of clinical symptoms consistent with coccidiomycosis infection. Once again this is not because your dog can transmit it to you, but because of your possible exposure in an endemic area.

Second email from CDC
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding transmission of coccidioidomycosis from your dog. Wounds on pets may be due to active infection (where the organism can be cultured) or due to immune complex deposition (that result from the body's natural reaction to the fungus). The first type of wound can lead to transmission due to sporulation of the organism when it reaches environmental temperatures on the surface of the skin.

Your thoughts?
MikeyGann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not contagious, human to human or pet to human or human to pet or pet to pet.

But you live in the same environment as your pet, so it's very likely you're exposed to the spores. My dog got it and so did I.

Find a new vet if they told you it's contagious. They dont know what they're talking about.
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I believe it's possible to transmit VF blood to blood. That's why none of use donate blood or bone marrow. It's not transmitted by breathing on someone.
All the best,
Susan
deedee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses. I have, unfortunately, endured a nasty case of valley fever myself. That is why I agreed to have my dog tested for Valley Fever because it made sense that she could have contracted it too especially since we believe mine was from doing landscaping in our yard. My dogs blood test results were negative for Valley Fever so the vet has just sent out cultures to see what bacteria could be causing her sores. I'm really relieved that it is not Valley Fever. I am always amazed at how little knowledge the vet/doctors have when it comes to Valley Fever. Thanks again.
sherry26tigger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee dee, we too lived in Queen Creek and our dog has valley fever, The vet on power and queen creek is a very good vet, power ranch animal hospital. And the prices are not too bad. If your dog does end up having valley fever, may i suggest that you get the script filled at walgreens, it only cost me 12.00 for 90 pills.
deedee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information regarding your dog and a good vet in the Queen Creek area. Unfortunately, our dog passed away earlier this year. She had been through a lot while being treated for perianal fistulas and I think the steroids were too much for her. She died in her sleep. (She never did test positive for Valley Fever). She lived a pretty spoiled 13 years though. Good Luck to your entire family.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: