ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
My knees are killing me!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimj

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: My knees are killing me! Reply with quote

Here's the thing, I knew I had a torn meniscus in my right knee that I was supposed to get fixed then VF hit and the surgeons refused to do anything until it's been clear for 12 months. Now all of a sudden my left knee started hurting so bad it stops me dead in my tracks at times, can't bend either leg very much and get pre cramping in my calf and foot constantly and throbbing pain,sharp nerve pain when I'm laying down.

They gave me a steroid shot and the knee got worse. The docs seem to be blowing it off like it's no big deal attributing it to age related arthritis (I'm only 53).
Anyone have any ideas to get the docs off their arse? I'm already popping pain meds that dull it some except when the shooting pain/cramping starts.
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My doctor recommended DMSO for my arthritic pains, including my knees with torn meniscus and calcium deposits. I ordered a scented cream (since DMSO smells Terrible) from this company: http://www.ihealthtree.com
Don't know if your doc will appreciate this or not, mine does some alternative stuff, vitamins, bio-feedback, so he's knowledgeable about alternatives. Hope this helps.
Sheila D
jimj

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Stuck with it Reply with quote

Went and saw my ID doc today and talked about what's going on with my knees,shoulders,neck and low back pain and he pretty much said I'm stuck with it until I'm not.
This has been going on for months now and he's said it could last for months or years nobody really knows for sure.
Darn, this really,really sucks as I've had to go back on Lidoderm patches every day on my spine so I can be sort of comfortable since it's cutting through the pain meds now.
I did find some relief with a heating pad but can only do that for so long before I'm well baked.
Oh well, I guess there's many that have it worse than I do, at least I can still walk (for now).
On Edit; I also had some red,round sores pop up on my arm and stomach that he said "well, that's VF".

Last edited by jimj on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have torn meniscus in both knees and the one thing that really helps is to use these runner's braces. Even if it doesn't hurt, if I'm going out to walk or even in the house if my knees hurt, this helps. I too cannot have surgery and never will be able to, so alternative and palliative measures are essential. Check out this one at Walgreens. Get them. Wear them. They won't stop your activity like some braces and they are specific for this condition, a typical runner's condition.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/browse/overlays/quick_view_details.jsp?id=prod6039148&overlay=true
kat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimj,

If the heating pad helps your back they make thermal wraps for the back. Or you might try a neoprene brace that still gives flexibility but supports your back some.
susan ulmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...Try putting some miconazole 2% ointment on your sores. It helps me to dry them up. I use baby wipes to clean the areas and then use the cream. Usually I can get things back in line in about a week. You can find the miconazole on the feminine hygiene shelf in the drugstore. It is over-the-counter. Although the original purpose is quite different, it is still a topical anti-fungal..I suppose you could use one for athlete's foot or jock itch in the same way as they are also anti-fungals but I don't know the strength of those. Your doctor sounds like a real mench. Hope he never gets VF.
All the best,
Susan
jimj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm now putting hydrocortisone cream on them (2 docs suggested it) twice a day so we'll see.
I know about the heat wraps, I used 'em when they first came out and a couple of times since unfortunately they refuse to stay put and drive me a bit bonkers. The other thing is I kind of got to watch the heat thing while wearing the patches, as you can guess heat+glue = no more sticky.
I will look into the knee brace for my right knee, but since there's nothing mechanically wrong with the left I'm at a loss of what to do now. It's gotten to the point where it hurts to bend my knees to put pants on and bending them (like if you're sitting in a chair and have your feet under the chair sliding it in) almost made me scream yesterday when we went out to lunch.
While I joke about it to my wife/son I really don't like that I'm paying serious attention to those hover-round scooter commercials now and seeing the possibility of one in my future, I'm only 53 dang it.
As for the Doc thing, at this point I've got 2-4 depending on the issue. 2 of them are working on the VF, my primary and the ID Doc, one Orthopedist and one Cardiac doc. They both (primary/VF) are concerned but the only thing I can think is that they're seeing so much of this that it's become normal (a sad commentary to be sure).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with them or with what they're telling me as nobody really seems to know how long this lasts on any specific person,what hell it'll raise along the way with any person's body so they can't play offense, they're always playing catch-up so I get frustrated when I'm told and I paraphrase "could be now or never" type things.
jimj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Stuck with it Reply with quote

Went and saw my ID doc today and talked about what's going on with my knees,shoulders,neck and low back pain and he pretty much said I'm stuck with it until I'm not.
This has been going on for months now and he's said it could last for months or years nobody really knows for sure.
Darn, this really,really sucks as I've had to go back on Lidoderm patches every day on my spine so I can be sort of comfortable since it's cutting through the pain meds now.
I did find some relief with a heating pad but can only do that for so long before I'm well baked.
Oh well, I guess there's many that have it worse than I do, at least I can still walk (for now).
Tara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim, I'm sorry you're having these issues I share your pain. Since Susan suggested the wipes and antifungal creams my spots get under control. The pain is another issue I to use lidoderm patches but they don't make a body suit. Aside from my back I'm cutting them for my fingers, wrists, knees, elbows and shoulder. My pain has now presented itself with force on left shoulder. I have tenderness down my arm as well. My hands hurt holding my phone to write even though I get to swipe letters. And moving my arm hurts my.elbow. My dr says on to vf I've.developed fibromyalgia and.the past 6 mo pain has really increased. I'm starting with more supplements as antiinflammatories and super foods.
Oh my dr told me to use.cortisone creme too on rashes...bad. I don't recommend anyone using even.topical steroids as they keep our immune system down, or something like that. I'm working on lessening ones I take for asthma.
Hope it gets better for you. Hang in there.
vf survivor 1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: knee pain Reply with quote

don't use serioids with vf......I use aspercream....the other products cwith heat make it worse..use cold compresses to ...I have dealed with this disease for yrs...praying for you...
sandyford1954

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Knee pain Reply with quote

I knew a nurse who got VF in BOTH knees. VF tends go to weak areas of your body. It burrowed into the cartilage in the joints and acted like a termite in wood, burrowing holes throughout. Just a possibility to have ck'd out. Hope you get better.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: