ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
4 - 1/2 mo. new with severe VF & lungs were coated 100%

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullinsjr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: 4 - 1/2 mo. new with severe VF & lungs were coated 100% Reply with quote

I contracted VF sometime late November to early December 2012, I was trucking delivering a fuel tank to Palo Alto California from Anaheim California, I woke up sweating and coughing, after delivery I made it to a motel, I stayed for a week, thinking my cough and sweats would go away with over the counter meds, after this I struggled to go load another oversize tank headed for Wy, as my trip progressed my breathing got extremely worse, my energy was below zero,my coughing was extreme, I unloaded this tank, I loaded for Longview Washington, I drove there for a Saturday delivery,the morning of December 15, 2012 I having only made it to the Tacoma Wa. South bound I-5 state truck scale, found myself extremely weak and unable to efficiently get from my sleeper to the drivers seat, after nearly two hours I made it and went to Longview, my oldest son and my daughter met us in at my destination,at this point I couldn't get out of my truck, (here's where the forces that be kicked in), upon arrival my delivery was denied, I parked went to the emergency room & to my surprise I was the only person there,I was admitted, spent 38 days in, 30 in I.C.U.on 25 liters oxygen, now out, I am experiencing no energy, joint pain, finger nail issues, tooth issues, in a weekly motel unable to yet get stamina back, on a lot of meds including fluconazole, slowly I can walk farther,i still have oxygen, pnumonia gone, lungs now at 55%, I'm making progress. Oh yeah....& I'm also alive...

Last edited by mullinsjr on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
LindaA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a difficult time you've had! I can't imagine having to deal with a very physical job, being "on the road" , and dealing with the increasing severity of your situation. Glad you're recovered, even if left with some symptoms and drugs. I'm retired with VF, and at least I'm not trying to juggle treatments/doctor visits with a job. That would be tough.

You know, I moved to So Cal in my mid-teens and lived there for most of my adult life without a single problem. It was within just 6 years here in AZ that I got VF. But it's important to recognize that lower areas in CA are also endemic and that people do contract this illness in other places as well. Good thing your doctors recognized the VF and began the fluconazole. My best wishes to you.
mullinsjr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: 4 - 1/2 mo. new with severe VF & lungs were coated 100% Reply with quote

I thank you for your reply, while recovering here in Wa State, I have enlightened so many about VF, as well as myself, just finding this site has brought smiles as well ad tears to me, as my time passed in the hospital ( at first in Longview Wa then they transferred me to O.H.S.U. in Portland Or) I really didn't expect to make it, having a "hi-flo" mask on 24/7 and trying to get my breathing rhythm down so I could breath was horrific, as I lay there receiving calls from friends and family I realized I was fighting for a new lease on life, my priorities seemed to change, I viewed my future with a broader vision, now experiencing help as well as helplessness,learning myself as well as watching those around me learn more, those that I expected, faded , while others, known and unknown stepped up, with progress slow I still see it daily, I am pleased to experience the stories here, and appreciate all input. Thank you[/list]
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mullinsjr,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Hopefully matters will not be at the point where you feel it becomes necessary, but a truck driver was one of the few people who was able to successfully sue his employers for a Valley Fever infection because they sent him through the endemic areas.

If you are able to get an attorney, please have the attorney contact us at voiceforaction@valleyfeversurvivor.com as I believe Valley Fever Survivor has researched the information that can lead to a successful case. More legal matters against VF may finally lead to more warnings, which would allow everyone to make an informed decision and could hopefully prevent people in the future from experiencing this horrible disease.

All my best,
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
LindaA

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also the pro golfer who sued the PGA for sending him to play in an endemic area. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/golf/pga/2003-12-26-valley-fever-suit_x.htm

"The Tour had a responsibility to its players," Leonard Decof, Kraft's lawyer, told the paper. "They should have known about this. If golfers are going to be playing under conditions that could be dangerous or life-threatening, the Tour should know about it and warn them."

I don't know what happened to this case. Maybe Dave does...
kat

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your new look at life. It is inspirational. If you would like to read another inspirational story read Robin Smith's story. He is living his dream after almost dying with VF. He does live a totally different life from what he had before but he lives it to the fullest each and everyday. You might find some real hope and encouragement from his story.
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the lawsuit Greg Kraft had against the PGA was dismissed. Fortunately he was able to return to his golf career.
mullinsjr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: 6 months into valley fevet Reply with quote

Well I've now had VF now for 6 months, I'm still on fluconazole and a few other meds, my fatigue is extreme, although my lungs show about 55% clear it appears it may be awhile before they are better, I have severe joint pain, swollen ankles, knees, hips, shoulders.....my memory is slipping to a scary level, ( I got lost walking down the hall to my Dr and bypassed his office) I forget what I am talking about, I can't hold a thought, there is ever constant ringing in my ears, my stamina is still near zero, most days I find myself getting up only to barely make it right back to bed, I think I am losing my mind, although my Dr's are good at what they do I find that for the mist part they no nothing about VF, yesterday one said, we find it hard to believe VF is causing all if this, oh like not being able to raise my arms?, the pain is unbearable mist of the time, this has ruined my life, made me a prisoner of the bed, at times I wonder if the fog in my head is visa bile to others, when I was admitted 12/15/2012 for the first of my 38 day hospital stay my lungs were 100% coated with what was described to be slime, thankfully the "slime" is gone, I had a cats can yesterday, am awaiting the results then I'm going for a spinal tap.... I feel lost, afraid, lonely, outcast and beat, my full-time income is gone, my daily activities include trying to make it to another day, I need a dr that knows about VF and is not afraid to confront it, yes there is more aches and pains than I listed but I am sure most who endure this know what I am saying, I found ALOT of help in the VF book and as I just finished it am getting a hi lighter to follow up on its contents, if you are suffering from VF get this book, it will help to put a smile back on your face.....thank you
kat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mullinsjr,

Thanks for the update on your health issues. I'm sorry to hear you are still dealing with so many of VF's symptoms. I really hope you get the spinal tap soon. If cocci is found there, it is best to find it ASAP. My prayers are with you as you struggle to find the answers you need to get back to a more normal life.
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad that that the book is useful enough to put a smile on your face, even in the midst of so much upset. It is truly gratifying to know that our work is making a difference. Thank you for your kind words.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Personal Stories and Hopeful Stories from Valley Fever Experiences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: