ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
your advice is urgently needed

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
k_poh



Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 16
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: your advice is urgently needed Reply with quote

Good day to you all, I found this site because I was looking for more info about this "secret disease" called valley fever. I am suspected of having it and am waiting for my blood result.

Here is my story:

I was currently taking co-amoxiclav antibiotics because my doctor said I have otitis media (I wnet to him because I had a blocked ear, which happens to me maybe every other year because my earwax is dry, and it sometimes needs to be pulled out using a crocodile forceps).
Anyway he said my ears were clear but red so he sent me home with the antibiotics for 10 days.

The Next day, I had a little fever and cough. I just ignored it becaue I was already on the antibitoics anyway.

I noticed on the seventh day that my very dry cough got worse, and fever got higher like 102 -104F. If I stopped Acetaminophen, my fever shoots up.

On the eighth day, my symptoms were, High fever, very dry explosive and continuous cough, malaise, chills, an episode of urticaria on my wrist, neck, and inner thigh which I attributed to maybe having a simple reaction with the meds I am taking, and I also felt musculoskeletal right shoulder pain which radiated to my right chest, and that I thought maybe I lied on it overnight.

On the 10th day, and last dose of my augmentin, I went to the doctor for a checkup as my condition did not get any better (but my ear was ok).
Actually my fever has already stopped, I was only concerned with the dry cough.

He then suspected me of having VF and ordered some blood tests, which he said will be available after a week. He also ordered a chest xray, which reported right upper lobe pneumonia (right upper lobe infiltrate).

He also gave me Levaquin and Prednisone. I have only taken 2 doses of Levaquin and I have reduced my prednisone today, my third day of taking them because last night I felt worse. I felt right upper back pain, and still coughing again and again.

It is a Saturday today so I can't go back to him and raise my concern about the meds he gave me because i just learned, they are antibiotic, and the prednisone though helps in the treatment of pneumonia, is an immuno suppressant. Heck maybe that explains why I woke up with cold sore today (this normally happens to me when my immune system is low).


Anyway, shouldn't he have given me antifungal instead ???

Do I continue to take my new meds?

Thank you


=======================================

We just moved to Arizona Sept 2013.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
susan ulmer



Joined: 04 Oct 2010
Posts: 418
Location: albuquerque nm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi k_poh..Welcome..

I am not a doctor but in my experience, if you CAN avoid antibiotics and steroids, you should. The acetaminophen shouldn't be a problem and will keep down your fever and reduce the aches and pains. Antibiotics and steroids [Prednisone] give VF a better chance of getting a foothold. Perhaps you could try a simple OTC cough suppressant to keep your cough in check while you are awaiting your VF test results? I have found that something that innocuous usually helps me to keep my cough quiet and keeps me from getting that chest pain that comes from excessive coughing.

I hope your results come back negative but VF often presents as or causes pneumonia and is often incorrectly treated. It's great that your doctor has suggested the VF test and is aware of that possibility but of course I hope he's wrong!

All the best,
Susan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 275

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi K_Poh,

Susan covered everything I would have said about antibiotics, steroids and the fact that it's good your doctor is vigilant enough to consider VF.

Quote:
Anyway, shouldn't he have given me antifungal instead ???

Unless he specifically had diagnosed a bacterial infection, he just guessed it was bacterial. Sometimes these medications make things worse. Maybe he should have guessed it was a fungal infection but it is hard to know. Sometimes patients are never diagnosed but the antifungals *do* work so they assume VF or another fungal illness was the cause. Of course not every infection is fungal either.

The fact that you are getting worse with antibacterial antibiotics should mean that you should put in a call immediately to see what action you should take.

I hope you are able to get answers fast.
_________________
David Filip
Co-Founder of www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-Author of "Valley Fever Epidemic"
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k_poh



Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 16
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been to the doctor today and he said my VF test came out negative. He actually only tested for IgG and IgM not the Titer that everyone is talking about. He said that this test is the screening test. Anyway I got to ask him to do the titers so it will be another week of waiting.


I am actually feeling better now. Dry cough is reduced to maybe 20%, but my back still feels sore. The soreness was only on the right side before, but it feels like it is going to the left side too. But he said I am getting better now which I agree. He also added if it was VF infection, then it is getting better but no one will really know for sure unless a lung biopsy is done.


I am really lost now and don't know what to think. Do I ask for lung biopsy to confirm I have VF ?

What's the next thing for me to do?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 275

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi k_poh,

I am glad that things are going better. By the fact that you are so early into your VF infection the IgM antibodies actually might be more visible. It is almost universal in blood tests to check for both IgM and IgG together so it is frustrating that it did not happen in your first test. At least you will have more information in a week.

As to whether a lung biopsy is beneficial, that would be a discussion you would need to have with your doctor to weigh the risks and benefits. Everyone wants to know exactly what went wrong so it can get the perfect fix if it happens again in the future but at this stage, since matters are improving (but keep an eye on the soreness you now feel on both sides), but the benefit of the test may not be as great. This discussion with your doctor is your next step, but the IgM and IgG information may be enlightening as well.

More important than the testing is the fact that your health is getting on the right track.

Best of health,
_________________
David Filip
Co-Founder of www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-Author of "Valley Fever Epidemic"
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k_poh



Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 16
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

I had my symptoms of cough, fatigue, and joint pains and weakness since Monday this week.

My cocci titer is now back with a result of 1:64

Problem is my doctor is not in the clinic and will be back Monday.

What do I do now ? Do I go to emergency or urgent care and ask the doctor there to start me on anti fungals?

Thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vfs_admin_Dave
Site Admin


Joined: 19 Dec 2004
Posts: 275

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi k_poh, it is unlikely that an emergency room doctor would know enough about this disease to make an appropriate decision. Calling your doctor's office for confirmation would yield the best results.
_________________
David Filip
Co-Founder of www.valleyfeversurvivor.com
Co-Author of "Valley Fever Epidemic"
www.valleyfeverepidemic.com
Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/valleyfeversurvivor
View our You Tube channel: www.youtube.com/valleyfeversurvivor
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k_poh



Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 16
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vfs_admin_Dave wrote:
Hi k_poh, it is unlikely that an emergency room doctor would know enough about this disease to make an appropriate decision. Calling your doctor's office for confirmation would yield the best results.


Hi Dave

Thank you very much for your very quick reply.

I have actually asked the medical assistant (before I posted here) to call the doctor and tell him I needed to be started on anti fungal. She was able to contact him and he gave me fluconazole 400mg/day and he said it will be for 4 months, and he referred me to a pulmonologist.

My question now is, is 400mg/day enough? Is that the normal dosage, or is it on a case by case basis ?

Thank you for your unending support

edit:
My pulmonologist appointment is still far.. on May 5,
but I have an appointment to see my doctor this Monday so I am thinking of questions I need to ask him and be certain of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epenney



Joined: 28 Apr 2009
Posts: 47
Location: Galt, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi k_poh,

Your titers are 1:64, and they are proposing 400mg/day Fluconazole for 4 months? Seems like a very short period of treatment given the high titers.

Initially, my titers were 1:8 for the first 7 months after diagnosis. I was started on 800mg/day Fluconazole and kept at that dosage for 3-1/2 years, then 400mg/day down to 200mg/day for 1 year until last May.

I hope all the best for you.

-Eric
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Budster



Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 346
Location: Simi Valley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epenney wrote:
Hi k_poh,

Your titers are 1:64, and they are proposing 400mg/day Fluconazole for 4 months? Seems like a very short period of treatment given the high titers.

-Eric

Hi k_poh, sounds low to me also, but then I am not a doctor. My titers have been 1:2 for 12 years and I still take 100mg a day to assist my immune system. Everyone is different especially when it comes to this disease. This is one reasons most doctors are not sure what to prescribe and go but their 'gut feeling' till your next blood test then try to adjust the prescription accordingly. Be sure your dr sends your blood to UC Davis for a very accurate titer reading.
_________________
Warm Regards,
Jerry

see my VF webpage here:http://www.budster.com/vf-01.htm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
k_poh



Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 16
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Thank you all for your replies.

I have decided to call the Mayo clinic in Scottsdale Az and book an appointment.

I have asked for some info in a new thread.

Once again thanks to everybody.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Valley Fever Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Copyright © 2002-2013 valleyfeversurvivor.com All Rights Reserved


Terms of Use

Board Powered by phpBB © 2013 phpBB Group