ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
Garlic supplements?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starla14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Garlic supplements? Reply with quote

Hi my dog Chloe has had Valley Fever for one year now. She has been taking Fluconozole all this time and her titer count is low (dont remember what it was). I am worried because she she still has a cough and has sores all over, especially her left leg, which seems to be weak. About 3 months ago she tore one of her pads on that foot and it has healed up but is still swollen. Is there something I can giver her for the sores? I read somewhere that antibiotics should not be given with the fluconozole. Would a garlic supplement be ok?

Also how long can she be on the fluconozole? My vet wants to take her off but I dont think she's ready.
Sheila

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi staria14. Welcome to the board. I'm so sorry about Chloe but at least you are in the right place for support and information. I have 2 dogs with vf and I have it also. (It was a family affair, we got it together!). I used natural protocols for all 3 of us, but one of my dogs is on Ketoconazole, might be for life.

First it sounds to me like Chloe is not doing as well as she should after a year of treatment. You will find that not many people here go by titers alone as there are many very sick people/dogs with low or even negative titers. A doctor/vet who goes strictly by titers is uneducated and a second opinion is called for. Sounds to me like Chloe might need a change in meds (doage or medication itself-to Itraconazole or even the Keto I am using if she can tolerate it) to go along with the vet change.

As for garlic, it's quite controversial as it is in the onion family. But I use it all the time for all my dogs including the 2 with vf. I use a product called BugOff Garlic from Sprintime Inc. I like this product especially for the vf dogs because of the high sulfur content. Yes, you can use it, but start slowly and work up. Here is a link to the product I use:
http://springtimeinc.com/product/148/2

Colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic, antibacterial, antifungal, anti anti anti, and another staple in my home. You can also use this, in higher doses, as a good antibiotic and it is complimentary to the fluconazole. Check at a good health food store and let them help you.

Depending on Chloe's activity level you might consider putting either a natural antibiotic salve (like a colloidal silver salve) or maybe just some neosporin on it, cover it with a sock and tape the sock onto her leg. Yes, antibiotics are contra-indicated, but an infection is worse. It's a tough choice I know.

You can try the natural stuff for a few days and see if it starts to go down. But don't wait too long as the infection can go systemic and then you are in trouble with immune compromise. I hope you will make an appointment with a new vet to discuss all this and maybe get some new tests and new meds. I agree. It's not time to stop the vf meds.

Please let us know how you progress.
Sheila
starla14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for such a fast response! I am going to look into getting a new vet. When Chloe was first diagnosed he acted like it wasnt a big deal because her titer was so low. Well at the time I had never heard of vf and didnt know all of the weird sypmtoms she had was a result of it. Anyways thanks for the help. She seems like a happy little dog and is actually much much better than she was but I will definetly look for a new vet who hopefully has a better understanding of vf and also try some of the natural remedies.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: