ValleyFeverSurvivor.com
Valley Fever Message Board
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile      Homepagevfs Homepage   Log inLog in 

Valley Fever Survivor at Facebook  Valley Fever Survivor's Twitter updates  Valley Fever Survivor's YouTube Channel  The RSS feed for Valley Fever Survivor's updates
what do i feed to my dog
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
celeste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: what do i feed to my dog Reply with quote

i have male dane mixed with valley fever and is on diflucan (generic flu)i have been feeding what ever he will eat he has lost over 20lbs in a month, and now i am having hard time to get him to eat..i have taken him off meds as he was getting bad bloody nose then his appitite picked up for few days, and now not eating again,(once i tryed re entering meds) what can i do for feeding i am running out of ideas. Question please send any ideas he needs to eat... Exclamation
JB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Get him to eat Reply with quote

Hi Celeste,

I'm so sorry to hear your dog is suffering with this disease. Crying or Very sad Personally, I would not take him off the medication unless the vet told me to. As far as feeding goes, I've had dogs who were ill and refused to eat, so I asked my vet for a syringe and bought some canned, high protein dog food from the vet, I believe it was called "Prescription Diet A/D" made by the company who makes Science Diet dog food. The company name is "Hills."

I would mix about 2 tablespoons at a time of this food with some warm water in a cup and made it about the consistency of gravy. I then would fill the syringe and place it at the side of my dog's mouth and slowly inject the mixture into his mouth. He had no choice but to swallow and this kept his strength up and weight up enough to get him back to eating his regular kibble, softened with water. I fed him like this through out the day every couple of hours or so for nearly 3 weeks and it kept him stable enough to fight an infection he had.

I hope this helps. Let us know how your buddy is doing. It's so scary when they refuse to eat. The syringe really made it easier for me to keep my dog fed and well hydrated.

Take care,
-JB- Cool
Sheila

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: feeding Reply with quote

Oh Celeste, this is the hardest time during the course of vf for a dog. Sometimes force-feeding is necessary, like JB says, and a syringe is always helpful. I have to disagree on the Science Diet anything as this food is so full of chemicals that in the end it will weaken the immune system even furthur. Sick dogs are one thing, valley fever is another.

Things that have been used successfully:
People food-to the blender add cooked meat and veggies with enough water to cover and blend to liquid. Use this in the syringe instead. Don't use any onions.
Cat food - most dogs will eat canned cat food. I don't like Friskies, but it seems the dogs do, and it's a temporary fix.
Puppy food - he needs the extra nutrition BUT please consider a good natural brand. My babies really liked Solid Gold puppy. Other good brands include Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance and Neura Meats. I get these at PetCo. Solid Gold puts out a tuna mix canned cat food. Try that.
Eggs - scrambled or even hard boiled. Most dogs like them.

Most vets will tell you to give the dog Vit C about 1/2 hour before the Diflucan. This helps it digest and lessens the nausea. If he cannot handle the diflucan you might consider switching to the old standby Ketoconazole amd see how he does. I know of a Weimaraner who runs field trials and does great on Keto.

Then again, there are others who lower the fluc dose and do alternative treatments, like the sulfur. Or things like I am doing for my beagles, with Oregano Oil and high dose atomic colloidal silver. You don't say how long he has been on the drugs. If it's brand new you could afford to do some switching of protocol. If he's been on them a long time, I would be hesitant to take him off altogether too quickly.
Sheila[/u]
celeste

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: thanks for your help Reply with quote

he has been on meds since 3/1/05 and i had him back to emrgancy vets on 4/9/05 as i couldnt stop the bleeding in his noise, the emrg vet said meds to strong and to cut med in half which i tryed, and i will give him a few days then reenter again, i have feed him chicken rice, beef rice canned puppy food, scrambled eggs hard boiled eggs and even tryed his favorite treat of mcdonald cheese burgers and spagitti, and nothing is working yesterday he ate 6 hots dogs off the grille(cooled off b4)and bologna,, he drinks more than he used to,i have had he since he was 3 weeks old and he's nine and 4 months he is my best freind and i really app the ideas and i will be picking up syringe today. thank you all with your help and please if you all have any other ideas please send them ,again thanks celeste
vkennedy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SORRY I DID NOT SEE YOUR MESSAGE SOONER. YOU CAN READ MY STORY IN PET OWNER STORIES OF VOICE FOR ACTION. I HAD TO PUT MY 5 YR OLD BRIARD TO SLEEP AFTER IT WAS FINALLY DETERMINED HE HAD VF IN OCT 2004. HE HAD SYMPTONS FROM THE DAY I GOT HIM @ 4 MOS, BUT NEVER DIAGNOSED CORRECTLY. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, HE BECAME ANOREXIC LAST JUNE, 2004. HAD LOST FROM 95 LBS DOWN TO 86 LBS. SPENT SOME TIME AT THE VET DURING THE SUMMER AND IMPROVED A LITTLE IN AUG 2004. BY OCT 2004 HE HAD LOST DOWN TO 72 LBS AND IN EXTREME DIFFICULTIES. SENT URGENT MESSAGE TO MY BREEDER AND SHE FINALLY TOLD ME TO HAVE HIM TESTED FOR VF -- CAME BACK POSITIVE. STARTED HIM ON KETO AND THEN FLUCONAZOL. WAS BETTER FOR ABOUT 3-4 WKS AND THEN QUIT EATING AGAIN. HAD ALREADY FORCE FED FOR 3 WKS. THIS TIME THE FORCE FEEDING DID NOT WORK -- JUST THREW IT UP. HE HAD BEEN BLEEDING RECTALLY. HAD TO PUT HIM DOWN ON 1/27/05; KIDNEYS AND LIVER SHUTTING DOWN AND SPORES HAD MOVED INTO HIS LEFT LEG. PLEASE READ MY STORY "ATTICUS AND ME" UNDER PET OWNER STORIES. I KNOW YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SYMPATHYZE WITH ME AS WELL AS RECOGNIZE SOME OF THE SAME SYMPTONS AND FRUSTRATIONS. BELIEVE ME WHEN I TELL YOU "I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH". JK
celeste

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on monday may 2.2005 we layed max to rest..he had lost another 10lbs making it over a loss of 30lbs in app 2 months,it is the most awfull thing i have ever seen,(valley fever) i wish to thank those who sent emails with suggestion . at this time i wanted to let you know what has happened
vkennedy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeste:

I am so sorry about Max and for you. I can tell you from personal experience that you did the right thing -- the only thing you could. This is a horrible disease with no cure, and it would never have gone away. I dealt with it for 5 yrs without knowing what Atticus had; and once I found out, the more I read and investigated, the more I knew we were always fighting a losing battle. I am hoping you will find comfort during your grieving by staying part of this "Voice for Action" group and educating others about VF and how devastating it is.

Jo
Sheila

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart goes out to you Celeste. You were a good mom, did everything for Max, and he will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge I'm sure. This happens too often, so many mis-diagnoses. My sister-in-law's 4 year old Keeshond was put down recently also. By the time they got the vf diagnosis he already had been treated for asthma, digestive disorders, diabetes, arthritis, rectal bleeding and finally seizures. They got the diagnosis of vf 1 week before he was laid to rest. Poor baby.

We are all with you now Celeste. Yes, you did the best thing and Max will be grateful for all eternity.
Sheila
kfranks

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeste, I am so sorry to hear about Max. Max is at peace now and running thru the fields chasing what lies ahead. You did what you could, whether human or beast, it takes it toll.

Take Care
Sheila

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you Celeste, and all who have loved their pets, take the time to read this, weep, and celebrate:

http://www.angelbluemist.com/aplaceforus.html
JB

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Sorry to hear about Max Reply with quote

Celeste,

I'm sorry to hear about Max. I'm sure you did the best you could do and I am sure he knew you were trying. With all the unconditional love that dogs bring into our lives, it's hard to imagine that we won't be together with them again at some point. Crying or Very sad

I lost my dog, Max, last year and sometimes I swear I can hear him trotting down the hallway or scratching at the bathroom door when I'm in there taking a shower. Sad

He's no longer suffering and neither is your Max. You're in my thoughts.
Take care.

-JB- Cool
stephanie

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: what do i feed to my dog Reply with quote

[quoSte="celeste"]i have male dane mixed with valley fever and is on diflucan (generic flu)i have been feeding what ever he will eat he has lost over 20lbs in a month, and now i am having hard time to get him to eat..i have taken him off meds as he was getting bad bloody nose then his appitite picked up for few days, and now not eating again,(once i tryed re entering meds) what can i do for feeding i am running out of ideas. Question please send any ideas he needs to eat... Exclamation[/quote]
Quote:

Hi Celeste- I'm very saddened to hear about Max, My heart truly goes out to you, I'm currently going thru same issues with my Rottweiler Duke, he was diagnosed with valley fever around 03-28-05, his back leg was so full of the fungus he could hardly walk, my vet put him on fluconazole, 2 1/2 pills twice daily, my vet also suggested I put him on mycomdicinals,from Paul Stamets, tonic mushrooms,it helps boost immune system. I also have him on vitamin c, and he takes his regular vitamins. I kept duke in my room for almost 6 weeks, would take him out to walk around, watched him like a hawk, when I would leave for work I would turn on the christian station so that duke's ears would be filled with god's word on healing and life. I love my do so much, I have had him since he was 6 weeks old, he is now 9 years old. I love him so much. when I read your story it made me cry. I know what you were and are now going through. I believe your Max is in a better place, I believe you will see him again someday...

Duke is now doing very well, the fungus is almost completely gone from his back leg, he can now walk,run. His weight is back up to 110 lb. Duke is acting like a pup again. his eyes are very clear, he has a huge appetite.
I just pray his progress continues.
vkennedy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SORRY, I PLACED THIS IN THE WRONG DISCUSSION GROUP:

DEJA VU IS RIGHT -- SOUNDS SIMILAR TO MY STORY WITH MY BRIARD -- READ ATTICUS & ME ON THIS WEBSITE. I LIVE IN GA, AND HAD ATTICUS FOR 5 YRS BEFORE BEING DIAGNOSED WITH VF. TOO LATE FOR HIM -- KIDNEYS AND LIVER SHUT DOWN. YOUR DOG IS STILL YOUNG AND IF HE HAS VF, MAY BE ABLE TO START ON FUNGAL MEDS AND RECOVER -- HAVE A TITRE DONE RIGHT AWAY -- TAKES 5-8 DAYS FOR RESULTS AND VET CAN GO AHEAD AND START ON MEDS. HE MAY NOT HAVE VF, BUT DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE THAT HE DOESN'T.

JO
celeste

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: what do i feed to my dog Reply with quote

celeste wrote:
i have male dane mixed with valley fever and is on diflucan (generic flu)i have been feeding what ever he will eat he has lost over 20lbs in a month, and now i am having hard time to get him to eat..i have taken him off meds as he was getting bad bloody nose then his appitite picked up for few days, and now not eating again,(once i tryed re entering meds) what can i do for feeding i am running out of ideas. Question please send any ideas he needs to eat... Exclamation

it has been over 1 year that i lost both of my baby's (MAX & ROSIE) I lost them within 5 weeks of each other and i am still mad hurt and lonely we have moved with our baby's to fl i wish they could have seen the green grass again. i hate az for not putting out warning about valley fever,i would have never moved there had i known about it, i also have valley fever and thats why we moved , my husband said we lost our baby;s and i' not losing you too and we moved outta there. there is not a day that goes by i dont think of them and miss them so much, we couldnt have children, but our babys filled our lives now mine is empty without them. i am sorry i hadnt gotten back on here but it was to hard and still is. my heart goes out to all going thru this and i wish we could all sue az for not warning us. if there is anything i can do i will help ...thank you all.
Sheila

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeste I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to heal and moving was probably the best decision. Perhaps you can find it in your heart to save another's life and consider visiting your local shelter. It doesn't change your loss, but does bring joy and distraction. And in our lives we are capable of loving many, just like loving people.

Your situation is similar to mine, where I have 2 dogs with vf and I do too. It's a terrible thing that no-one is aware of this, but AZ would close down if they told. It's a real problem, and it's not just AZ. I am in Las Vegas, and many are in CA and TX too. What we need is publicity.

If you really want to make a difference and know in your heart you have done something, go to the valleyfeversurvivor homepage and click the link to help get a petition signed for the vf vaccine legislation. We need help and you are a person the local FL people wll listen to. Talk to showdog people if you can. They bring their dogs to shows and leave them to dig in the dirt. Then they get them home and no-one ever knows why the died. If you want to help, PLEASE, help us.

Sending healing thoughts of love,
Sheila
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    valleyfeversurvivor.com Forum Index -> Pet Owner Stories and Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: